advertisement

HDD or SSD portable drive for 2009 Mac Mini

Alex S

carbon based lifeform
Running Audirvana. I need more storage. In this context is there any advantage to SSD. I need at least 2tb so we’re talking over £300 vs about £60. Also, if HDD any advantage to self powered? Thanks.

If hd noise isn't an issue for an external, then I'd go with a simple external hard drive, perhaps with a second one as a backup. Speed of the drive likely won't be a limiting factor. If you're using it for an internal boot drive, different kettle of fish - SSD all the way.

Not much I reckon. If you have no problems now using the mini's internal HD then there's nothing an SSD will give other than faster loading of tracks to memory. An external drive is so convenient and it might - oh god please save me from any questions on this, it's just an idea I picked up from here and I don't know it for a fact - remove a bit of drive noise from the equation.

Or pull the HD out of a USB external box and put that in the mini. That's what I did with my 2007 one, albeit using a 320GB internal that was a fiver at a car boot.

Audirvana loads tracks to RAM so the more you can give it the less it'll need to access the drive.

Thanks. I don’t use the Mini’s HDD for music storage, only external USB and FireWire drives. I upgraded the RAM to 8 and threw away everything I possibly could and set Audirvana to ‘extreme’.

So my guess is another USB HDD will suffice. Any advantage to self powered? Everything is backed up at least three times. I’m not loosing this music even I’m trying to escape a burning wreck.

Self powered portable for sure then. You don't need any whizz-bang features a desktop might give and you can stick your music library in your pocket to play anywhere you can plug it in.

Wish I had 8GB to let it play with. Just 2GB in mine but it plays fine unless - as I found out a few days ago - I add too many tracks to a playlist, when it can drop out occasionally.

Go for a WD my passport HDD. SSD nicecluxury. But the HDD are very quiet and usb powered.

You talk sense, probably, but being tech clueless I’ve failed to see the benefit from where I am. (Bear in mind I only need my music from one device, no one else really wants it and I don’t want it anywhere else).

You talk sense, probably, but being tech clueless I’ve failed to see the benefit from where I am. (Bear in mind I only need my music from one device, no one else really wants it and I don’t want it anywhere else).

4th my passport ultra will do the trick nicely. Get some sync SW so you can update yer spare and back up copies and your done. I use BeyondCompare to mirro sync drive to NAS NAS to drive drive to drive etc. it's dead easy.

Whatever you use please remember to make at least three backups...

2 working copies, 1 back up copy elsewhere is the mantra. Synchronize all at least monthly.

Or shell out on Cloud service, which is great, albeit expensive, until you need to recover from Cloud, which takes ages.

advertisement

Back