advertisement

HBO's Scientology Documentary: 'Going Clear'

The scariest thing about Scientology is that, unlike most cults, they have a tremendous amount of resources (e.g., money, lawyers and members who will blindly follow orders) that can be used to attack and ruin those who disagree with them.

I agree that the interviews with Cruise, and the footage of Cruise and Miscavige at their big stage events, was very disturbing. Am feeling conflicted, as I generally enjoy Cruise's sci-fi movies. Very hard to watch them now, and not think constantly about what a despicable wacko he is in real life.

...just watched it and agree with all the above. Now I am seriously contemplating to stop watching Tom Cruise stuff :/

I once had a scientology hypnotism if thats the word. When they relax you on a couch with eyes closed. I seem to remember they had a small place on deansgate Manchester. This was 25 years ago. I believe there still is a church of scientology place on that road but I dont know if they are linked

It was quite interesting to a point and I did get very relaxed with my eyes closed. If not completely under I certainly felt out of it.

The rub us that when finished all the leaflets came out about books and payment plans for this that and the other :) Being a skinflint I politely declined. To be fair I could see some appeal in getting involved

I once had a scientology hypnotism if thats the word. When they relax you on a couch with eyes closed. I seem to remember they had a small place on deansgate Manchester. This was 25 years ago. I believe there still is a church of scientology place on that road but I dont know if they are linked

It was quite interesting to a point and I did get very relaxed with my eyes closed. If not completely under I certainly felt out of it.

The rub us that when finished all the leaflets came out about books and payment plans for this that and the other :) Being a skinflint I politely declined. To be fair I could see some appeal in getting involved

Thing is that the actual practice of talking about inner conflicts to someone who actually listens is liberating and feels good (same as in any therapy). Point though being is that you HAVE to keep on talking about potential wrongdoings on your side - if there are any or not. Until you actually feel wrong and unworthy. Then Scientology steps in and 'shows you the way out of your misery'. And introduces Xenu. And uses the things you have said in good faith against you, should you try to oppose anything. And tries to separate you from your family and friends...etc

Thing is that the actual practice of talking about inner conflicts to someone who actually listens is liberating and feels good (same as in any therapy). Point though being is that you HAVE to keep on talking about potential wrongdoings on your side - if there are any or not. Until you actually feel wrong and unworthy. Then Scientology steps in and 'shows you the way out of your misery'. And introduces Xenu. And uses the things you have said in good faith against you, should you try to oppose anything. And tries to separate you from your family and friends...etc

Yes I have always had a lost soul element about me. The session felt quite good but I was nervous about what they really wanted from me.

It was a bit of a confessional session if I can remember correctly

I would almost be perfect to be sucked in. However Im just this side of being wary and scared of change. Plus £29.99 for a book and hundreds for a session course FFS :D

I fully understand how the lost souls of Manchester and beyond could find it very attractive

Yes I have always had a lost soul element about me. The session felt quite good but I was nervous about what they really wanted from me.

It was a bit of a confessional session if I can remember correctly

I would almost be perfect to be sucked in. However Im just this side of being wary and scared of change. Plus £29.99 for a book and hundreds for a session course FFS :D

I fully understand how the lost souls of Manchester and beyond could find it very attractive

There are lots of people who can benefit from working with a licensed psychologist (or a doctor of psychiatry) - someone that truly has the patient's best interests at heart. Unfortunately, none of those professional care givers work for Scientology.

Scientology's "interviewers" are at best scam artists, and at worse, blackmailers and extortionists. These despicable people prey on the most vulnerable and weak-minded among us, hiding behind a false banner of religious freedom.

It will be a very good day when its leaders are indicted, assets are seized, and its doors are closed forever.

Does the film include any anecdotes from Harlan Ellison?

IIRC, they did mention a discussion between Hubbard and Ellison. The topic was how to make a lot of money, and Ellison's suggestion was to start a new religion.

advertisement

Back