advertisement

Haydn - The Creation

Barrymagrec

pfm Member
The creation has never been one of my favourite pieces and I have rarely heard it complete but the other day Mrs BM suddenly expressed an interest in hearing "our copy". I said that it was a hole in the collection and proceeded to obtain this version :-https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Creation-Die-Schopfung-Originals/dp/B000001GXN/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2U6P8K7MUIF4N&keywords=haydn+creation&qid=1552986566&s=music&sprefix=haydn+%2Cpopular%2C187&sr=1-5

It still didn`t really work for me despite a pretty stellar ensemble and then I had a flash of recollection and realised that I already had this very recording at the back of the Karajan DG opera set - smacks forehead.

Anyway I certainly don`t need two copies of the same version of something I`m rarely going to listen to so if anyone else wants it it`s yours for a small appropriate donation to pfm. (free post UK only)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Damn - you are quite right, I just looked as far as Karajan, Janowitz and Wunderlich and assumed it was the same recording.

Offer stands though.

I understand the desire to not buy too many recordings of such a work, but here is a case where HIP pays dividends. Both Paul McCreesh and Christopher Hogwood deliver superb performances that may be worth streaming. The best way to hear this piece is in person, though. I attended a performance a few years back and it's just magnificent in real life. Haydn's choral writing is most effective in a real setting. As with the DSCH 11, hearing it in person made all recordings seem so puny and ineffective, it's hard to go back.

I agree with Todd. The Creation is best heard in concert. Records only convey a pale reflection of the grandeur that is apparent at a real concert. Fortunately it is not so difficult to find good concert performances in the UK at least. It is immensely popular with Choral Societies.

I have the Hogwood recording, and it is very good. I also have the relatively unknown recording done in 1956 by the forces of the Vienna State Opera, and stellar soloists, conducted by Mogens Woldike. This is in German of course, but that is no problem if you know the English words as well! Though the the recording is more limited than a modern digital one like Hogwood, it does show the quality of the music making and brilliance of the singing.

Wish best wishes, George

advertisement

Back