advertisement

Haydn "Nelson" Mass

The Six Last Masses on the Argo label by David Willcocks is well worth having if you like these pieces. I have the boxed set on vinyl and the recording quality is superb for 1970.

mat

I don't know about "must have" but the Pinnock on DG is an oft-played favourite. The period percussion and brass sound as if they have come straight from the battlefield (or battleship).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just done a bit of homework and they're both the same recording. The Legends one was released 2000 the double album 1997. I wonder if the Legends was re-mastered again? I know they're very good on that label but the double album looks much better value on the face of it. I wish I wasn't an audiophile sometimes!!

Thanks,

Nic.

I believe they are the same but don't hold me to it. The version I mentioned is actually recorded in 1962; the individual masses (making up The Six Last Masses) were recorded up to 1970.

mat

Just done a bit of homework and they're both the same recording. The Legends one was released 2000 the double album 1997. I wonder if the Legends was re-mastered again? I know they're very good on that label but the double album looks much better value on the face of it. I wish I wasn't an audiophile sometimes!!

Thanks,

Nic.

Obviously it depends what the original source they used, but if they capture the quality of my original vinyl pressings then you won't be disappointed.

mat

Gardiner did a highly-regarded series of the major Haydn masses:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001RTZ814/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I haven't heard enough of the others to say that they're any better or any worse than those, but in isolation they're very good. Having the best choir in the business helps, of course.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back