advertisement

have you had a positive PSA test

I had a PSA blood test suggested by my GP in August 2015 when I was 69 and was tested positive 17.3. Went through the biopsy, MRI, CT and bone scan all implemented at Guy’s Hospital.
Went through monthly injections of Zoladex for 6 months followed by 20 sessions of Radio Therapy in 25 days very gruelling. Thankfully all clear now discharged from Guys Hospital in July 2018 now have an annual PSA blood test due next month but has stayed at .2.

Regards,

Martin

I was surprised by how much it took out of me when I had my radiotherapy. I had 33 sessions over 6 or so weeks.

I am generally an early starter so I arranged to have my appointments first thing. There were several advantages to this...

It got it out of the way and I had the rest of the day to recover (I wasn't working at the time) so I was able to catch up with my listening and reading backlogs.

Several other patients at different stages of their treatment also took regular early appointments so I was able to build a small support group. We shared our experiences which helped a lot.

I wasn't too badly affected by the machines breaking down, which they often did. You have to have a full bladder and when you have no control any delay in getting your session meant holding on for much longer. Not always possible, this meant going to the loo and having to start drinking a measured quantity of water to fill up again, then waiting for the bladder to fill up again. Thus missing your slot. They were in the process of replacing the machines when I was there so, hopefully, this isn't so much of a problem now.

Parking was easier as the car park was generally empty when I arrived.

The moral is, never ignore the symptom and I unapologetically shout it again, PINK PEE.

Quite a few years ago I used to play roller hockey in a no-checking league. We were all pretty terrible skaters so accidental "checking" was common and one day I took a good whack to the stomach. The next morning I'm peeing pink and quite worried so I call the doc and make an appointment. Then my wife reminds me that we had beetroot salad for dinner the night before. Quick call to cancel the appointment. We would have laughed but the ribs were too painful.

As others have said this is a tremendously frank thread about one of the perils of aging. I wish all the best to those who have told their stories.

As for myself I have my first colonoscopy next Thursday. Ugh - I'm dreading it, and not particularly looking forward to a night on the toilet before hand doing the bowel prep. One comment I read was "after you've drunk the prep. fluid you'll wish your toilet had a seatbelt". Hopefully it'll be all clear and then I can worry about whether or not to do a PSA test.

As for myself I have my first colonoscopy next Thursday. Ugh - I'm dreading it, and not particularly looking forward to a night on the toilet before hand doing the bowel prep. One comment I read was "after you've drunk the prep. fluid you'll wish your toilet had a seatbelt". Hopefully it'll be all clear and then I can worry about whether or not to do a PSA test.

It's not pleasant, though it's preferable to the consequences of not having it done.

I'll save my colonoscopy story till next Friday :)

@gintonic sorry to hear about your loss.

The trials and tribulations of being a man.

Here in Norfolk, we have a scheduled internal rear end inspection using an endoscope and inflation gas at age 55. Mine is due next year.

Quite a few of my work-mates have already been through it and they describe it as a 'Name and Number interrogation' ' type experience.

Ray

The trials and tribulations of being a man.

Here in Norfolk, we have a scheduled internal rear end inspection using an endoscope and inflation gas at age 55. Mine is due next year.

Quite a few of my work-mates have already been through it and they describe it as a 'Name and Number interrogation' ' type experience.

Ray
Have been through it twice. First was several years ago after a bowel infection, during which they found some polyps which they removed. Had a second check up 5 years later, then the all clear and another not required. Not pleasant but had worse things to be honest. I’ve read that gingers need more anaesthetic than most people and that was borne out the first time when what they gave me seemed to have no effect at all so there were some painful moments. Second time was gas and air which was much better.

I’ve been scoped at both ends! Watched the screen with the bowel procedure, throat was more uncomfortable but not painful.
Bowel inflation again uncomfortable but got through it fine.
Years ago I had a barium enema prior to X-ray which actually hurt. Tube in and raised the container to the roof so there was a fair head of fluid!
Had radiotherapy over about 5 weeks I think around 20 years ago that really knocked the stuffing out me. It was aimed at the stomach and boy did I suffer, in fact I’d go as far as to say I wasn’t quite the same again!
I was prescribed some strong anti sickness medication (can’t remember the name) but I’m not a ‘the worlds ending’ type of guy if I vomit so didn’t take them.
Big mistake, wasn’t physically sick at any point but I certainly felt ‘radiated’. I took the tablets after day one but felt they were playing catch up with the nausea. Treatment was at 09.30, home by 10.30,sleep till 6pm eat then sleep till 08.30 the next morning, repeat!!
Wouldn't have wished it on my ex wife (well maybe then)! How Alexander Litvinenko was feeling after being poisoned I can’t imagine!

I am perhaps more pro screening than Doctororf
Prostate cancer is a disease of older men and one frequently heard comment is that older men die with their prostate cancer rather than from it
This is perhaps true if you are in your 80’s and nineties but it is a bugger if you are in your 50’s and 60’s and likely to lose the retirement you deserved and had dreamed of.
Too many men have had to face up to this abrupt change in their future prospects including some doctor friends from medical college
There has been a study which suggests that a low PSA and a normal rectal examination gives a low likelihood of ever having invasive prostate cancer
Secondly the major problem with an abnormal PSA was how to proceed.
Multiple biopsies does have a high complication rate and as has been mentioned may miss a prostate cancer
The advent of parametric MRI is likely to be a game changer in being much more reliable in demonstrating the presence or absence of a cancer and facilitating the biopsy of the correct tissue.
Remember that the disease is more common in some families and in men of afrocaribbean origin
General screening of the male population is not current policy as it is still not clear which men will have a cancer that needs active and enthusiastic treatment and those who have an indolent disease
However my choice was to have the blood and rectal examination and I am glad to say that no abnormality was suspected
If you don’t get checked, how will you ever know whether you have the disease or how will you make the decision to be treated or to wait and watch and monitor
John

As for bowel cancer screening. This currently starts at 55 with a flexi sigmoidoscopy ( a camera up the bum)
This is a very good option and I encourage everyone to take it up
Where it was introduced and trialled it made a big difference to the finding of early cancers which could often be treated at the time
There is also FIT testing where samples of your stool are checked for hidden or occult blood. Following a positive test you would be invited for a scope.
Both of these tests are a bit undignified but both are well worth doing

The most useful advice I have heard for picolax is to lather your bum hole with Vaseline and shower rather than wipe
That way the scope goes up an anus which is slightly less sore !

I am perhaps more pro screening than Doctororf
Prostate cancer is a disease of older men and one frequently heard comment is that older men die with their prostate cancer rather than from it
This is perhaps true if you are in your 80’s and nineties but it is a bugger if you are in your 50’s and 60’s and likely to lose the retirement you deserved and had dreamed of.
Too many men have had to face up to this abrupt change in their future prospects including some doctor friends from medical college
There has been a study which suggests that a low PSA and a normal rectal examination gives a low likelihood of ever having invasive prostate cancer
Secondly the major problem with an abnormal PSA was how to proceed.
Multiple biopsies does have a high complication rate and as has been mentioned may miss a prostate cancer
The advent of parametric MRI is likely to be a game changer in being much more reliable in demonstrating the presence or absence of a cancer and facilitating the biopsy of the correct tissue.
Remember that the disease is more common in some families and in men of afrocaribbean origin
General screening of the male population is not current policy as it is still not clear which men will have a cancer that needs active and enthusiastic treatment and those who have an indolent disease
However my choice was to have the blood and rectal examination and I am glad to say that no abnormality was suspected
If you don’t get checked, how will you ever know whether you have the disease or how will you make the decision to be treated or to wait and watch and monitor
John
Good post John,
I agree with much of what you say.
The main point is that it is vital that any man over 50 with any lower urinary tract symptoms gets assessed, usually with an PSA as a minimum.
Paradoxically, general PSA screening has never been shown to save lives, hence its lack of endorsement by the charities I mentioned above. It is controversial, and there are doctors who advocate screening, but they not supported by evidence.

I had a raised PSA in my early forties and had regular check ups. It gradually increased over time but before they could do anything about it I was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer and that became a priority as I was only 53. I had a full Whipple and about 8 months of chemo. Five years later my PSA began to rise again and after a biopsy they discovered that it was at stage four and aggressive and so I elected to have a prostatectomy. Simple message is don't be proud get it checked as soon as you think that there might be a problem. I had a rectal examination by a Consultant who I had never met before on my birthday. I would have preferred a box of chocolates and some flowers rather than some strange man putting his hand up my backside but looking back on it now I am glad he was thorough.

The UK standard for radiotherapy without surgery used to be 33 to 37 treatments over around 7 weeks. The chhip trail proved that 60Gy in 20 treatments over 4 weeks gave as good results and gave good guidance on reducing doses to normal tissues. Bowel damage would be less likely now using this regime but is unfortunately a risk if there is evidence of nodal involvement and these are treated as well.Some patients get significant fatigue and others seem much less affected. We all react differently and many side effects are a very individual issue.
Rgds
Stuart

I had a raised PSA in my early forties and had regular check ups. It gradually increased over time but before they could do anything about it I was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer and that became a priority as I was only 53. I had a full Whipple and about 8 months of chemo. Five years later my PSA began to rise again and after a biopsy they discovered that it was at stage four and aggressive and so I elected to have a prostatectomy. Simple message is don't be proud get it checked as soon as you think that there might be a problem. I had a rectal examination by a Consultant who I had never met before on my birthday. I would have preferred a box of chocolates and some flowers rather than some strange man putting his hand up my backside but looking back on it now I am glad he was thorough.

OMG - I'm glad you've made it through all of that and hope you have many problem free years ahead.

advertisement

Back