advertisement

Hats

I love hats. My two favourites are a rattan pork pie hat I bought in Berlin 12 years ago and a blue/grey trilby but I also have 4 or 5 others. Go for it, become "that guy who wears the hats". It's cool.
I agree (although I’m a little disappointed that a beret isn’t your favourite headgear.) I don’t feel right if I’m outside without a hat, even if I’m only watering the garden or having a coffee on the patio.
Also a Breton "John Lennon" type cap can look good.
Didn’t he nick the idea from Dylan (then Donovan stole it in turn from him?)

My current favourite is a Tilley in this weather. I also have a wide-brimmed straw number which was on offer at the NT shop at Uppark

get a fez

It does have jazz credentials.

5791980822_67e7b9c056_n.jpg

I like hats. A decent Panama for the summer, a wide brimmed Fedora for the winter, and a real fur Ushanka for when it's bitterly cold and snowy.

Stetson Gun Club (ya -sounds a bit macho-just ignore the name) -found one at the now lamented and gone bargain cave at Cabellas. Was a little shocked at what they sell for new/not returned. Got years of use from that hat and lost it about 3 weeks ago. Now faced with a retail purchase I'm sorta frozen on the buy it now button. I'm a ol' fart and do I find this hat got me more smiles out of women and girls -not sure why-but it's a nice effect and a whole lot cheaper than my bro's 63 Corvette (ya -top down that gets smiles too.).

Havana in the spring. Panama in the summer. Stetson Explorer in the fall, and Shearling Sheepskin Aviator in the winter.

Dizzy Gillespie style Beret for jazz concerts, and don't forget the Deerstalker (for deer stalking of course).

Can hats favour fire?
Can a hat aspire to higher things?
Can one dismiss hats as simple things?
Vapid things?
Scant, evanescent things?

Combat cap in cotton - I have about half a dozen in different colours, dark shades for winter - light for summer.
Most of the time I wear a burgundy one from this seller:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15433269...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Never pay more than a tenner each either way.
Need the peak since I had a facial skin cancer when I was in my forties (fortunately removed successfully)

Very hot weather I wear an adapted straw panama - remodelled and inner band + ribbon removed.
Bought at the beach years ago - about £8
(put a new ribbon on recently on a whim - and then removed it again, too hot)

Also have a black felt fedora and a much posher straw - never wear them though ....

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
don't forget the Deerstalker (for deer stalking of course).

Years ago I had a Nike trapper cap. I considered it chic and practical on colder days but was banned from wearing it after it aroused the mirth of a group of school children in Belgium.

I’ve had Basil Cell excisions a handful of times and have a Tilley and three Shelta hats. They keep my face, neck and ears shaded which are my most vulnerable areas.

The Shelta has become my preferred choice and wear them when golfing, biking, kayaking or basically anytime I’m outside for any period of time. They have a hard bill, chin strap that secures the hat on windy days and bike rides and has some adjustability in size for when I wear a baklava on colder days.

https://www.sheltahats.com/

Last edited:
I have a cream coloured linen trilby, gets admired whenever I wear it. As the article earlier said, it's a good choice to wear a trophy or similar so you do have to rock it. It's a thin line between looking dope and looking like a dope.

I have a cream coloured linen trilby, gets admired whenever I wear it. As the article earlier said, it's a good choice to wear a trophy or similar so you do have to rock it. It's a thin line between looking dope and looking like a dope.

Yup.

C353287-A-616-F-4-A2-B-96-EC-762-A1-EF60-ABF.jpg

Can hats favour fire?
Can a hat aspire to higher things?
Can one dismiss hats as simple things?
Vapid things?
Scant, evanescent things?

Thanks for the reminder! On tonight's playlist now.

Green fedora is very comfortable, red top hat for when i'm MC, very furry tweedy French hat for winter and baseball cap from SA made from some endangered species for vermin control.

Just getting to the stage where the thatch is thin enough to let my head burn so a straw hat might be needed for next summer.

advertisement

Back