advertisement

Has the BBC lost it?

PhilofCas

pfm Member
I’ve always liked the BBC, it had been my go-to channel for years, but have they lost the plot these days?

Why the hell do they seemingly take great pleasure in headlining that a ‘celebrity’ has died of the Coronavirus or that the youngest person in the UK has succumbed to same virus.

They appear to be no better than gutter press of late.

I know they are not universally liked, but what’s other people’s views? and are there other news channels that I should check out? I can’t bear to watch the BBC at the moment!

Thanks,

Phil.

Is that BBC news channel? If so, it's our old friend Phil Airtime, they all do it.

All TV channels will be taking a huge hit as the lockdown will prevent so much new programming from being made. We’ll very shortly be living in a world with hopelessly stripped-down news and repeats/archive material everywhere else. No way round it really.

PS I gave up on the BBC news aside from Newsnight about a year ago now. Spurred into action by the truly awful Daily Mail-grade ‘Victoria Derbyshire’ show, the Daily Politics decline into Politics Live, and then QT descending into a Jeremy Kyle show clone for fat white Brexit gammon I just can’t watch it anymore. I’ll still defend the other areas of the BBC, I’m a huge fan of BBC 4, R3, R4 etc, but the news has been aimed at the low IQ or racist demographics for a long time now. To my utter incredulity Sky News is vastly better.

Agreed. It amazes me there are still some morons out there that think this thing is ‘the flu’!

I’ve always liked the BBC, it had been my go-to channel for years, but have they lost the plot these days?

Why the hell do they seemingly take great pleasure in headlining that a ‘celebrity’ has died of the Coronavirus or that the youngest person in the UK has succumbed to same virus.

They appear to be no better than gutter press of late.

I know they are not universally liked, but what’s other people’s views? and are there other news channels that I should check out? I can’t bear to watch the BBC at the moment!

Thanks,

Phil.
I find them very negative and they needle for faults with their reporters asking provocative questions where no answers are possible. They have lost it. But still nowhere near as crass and irresponsible as that potato head Piers Morgan. Will someone please shut him up!

truly awful Daily Mail-grade ‘Victoria Derbyshire’ show,

While I can admire her journalistic skills, I have always thought of this show as daytime tv to slash your wrists to. The programme is so depressing. There never seems to be enough good news stories or lighter pieces to balance out the serious news elements. My wife likes it but for me it's a turn off.

I’m guessing the use of celebs & youngsters who have died of covid is a way of driving home the fact that it can happen to anyone. Like it or not, celeb sells & youngsters dying of it enforces that it’s not only old uns that get it.
But sensationalism has increased in all walks of life, celeb gossip has increased due to the rise of social media platforms & I suppose the beeb thinks it has to compete with that. As much as a lot of us would rue that direction.

All TV channels will be taking a huge hit as the lockdown will prevent so much new programming from being made. We’ll very shortly be living in a world with hopelessly stripped-down news and repeats/archive material everywhere else. No way round it really.

PS I gave up on the BBC news aside from Newsnight about a year ago now. Spurred into action by the truly awful Daily Mail-grade ‘Victoria Derbyshire’ show, the Daily Politics decline into Politics Live, and then QT descending into a Jeremy Kyle show clone for fat white Brexit gammon I just can’t watch it anymore. I’ll still defend the other areas of the BBC, I’m a huge fan of BBC 4, R3, R4 etc, but the news has been aimed at the low IQ or racist demographics for a long time now. To my utter incredulity Sky News is vastly better.

thanks Tony, I do like QT and keep watching Andrew Marr, I’ve always dismissed SKY news, but will give it a try

I’m guessing the use of celebs & youngsters who have died of covid is a way of driving home the fact that it can happen to anyone. Like it or not, celeb sells & youngsters dying of it enforces that it’s not only old uns that get it.
But sensationalism has increased in all walks of life, celeb gossip has increased due to the rise of social media platforms & I suppose the beeb thinks it has to compete with that. As much as a lot of us would rue that direction.
Many of the audience are only interested in this kind of crap. I am frequently surprised how seriously our youth take people like the Kardashians
and Made in Chelsea stuff. Seems to be the only way of increasing attention spans by letting celebs open the door to the news. Depressing.

Totally agree, it has a responsibility to hammer home the message at this most crucial time (I'm just watching a paid-for advert on ITV giving the same message). They've had the doctors and nurses saying it, now they're talking about getting the Queen to say a few words, God help us.

That's not to disagree with the fact that Victoria Derbyshire and QT are rubbish bordering on offensive, and to an extent Politics Live!

Why is the guy's stuff on Amazon? Anyway, bad call. Appologies to all. Certainly not my views.

I'm now going to get my coat and go for the daily walk.

advertisement

Back