advertisement

Has anyone tried to 552-ize any other Naim circuit ?

yairf

Trade: Teddy Pardo Audio
Hi all
I'm not sure if this has been discussed here more than a dozen times, if it has, please feel free to close the thread.
It's been ages since the standard power feed for Naim's preamp circuits is +24v and the return is 0v, the same 0v that is used for signal grounding, which is the root cause of Naim's grounding fuss.
There's no argue that feeding a circuit with a dual-rail (+/-V) makes for a lower noise floor comparing with positive only, for the simple reason that the power feed return is separated from the signal ground. Naim has done this with the 552 preamp and it's dedicated power supply. I cant tell for sure, but I would imagine they mainly converted the NAC-52 into a +/- configuration.
I have tried that in the past with NA-324 buffer, NA-323 phonostage as well as Avondale's A821 board, all applied as stand alone boards, i.e. not within the context of a working Naim preamp. It does require careful stitching, but when done properly, it always yielded excellent results.
I wonder if anyone here tried applying this approach to a fully working preamp. It should be fairly easy to do with the older generations, such as 32/72 or maybe 42, but rather tricky with newer ones such as 102 etc.
Cheers, Yair

HI Yairf
I originally had it in a -24 - 0 - +24v supply and it was OK but not as good as it is now.
Maybe I didnt have it wired correctly ?, would be interested to hear how to get the best out of a symmetrical supply
Alan
Hi Alan
Nice one!
I did run the A821 with +/-15V, which was excellent. I think that +/-24 is a bit too much...
Keep in mind that the RC filters in the input and output need to be grounded to the signal ground, rather than the negative rail.
This is the stitching part I mentioned earlier :)
Cheers, Yair

Hi Alan
Nice one!
I did run the A821 with +/-15V, which was excellent. I think that +/-24 is a bit too much...
Keep in mind that the RC filters in the input and output need to be grounded to the signal ground, rather than the negative rail.
This is the stitching part I mentioned earlier :)
Cheers, Yair
Hi Yairf,
Thats interesting as I can see with my present wiring does connect the power supply 0V for each channel to the Signal ground and I had it that way with the symetrical supply as well as a star ground, I also got a Hum if I didn't connect the chassis earth to the star ground in the pre amp?
Is this somewhere were a Diode/Resister/Capacitor decoupling between the 2 grounds could help , any advice greatly appreciated :)
Alan

Hi Yairf,
Thats interesting as I can see with my present wiring does connect the power supply 0V for each channel to the Signal ground and I had it that way with the symetrical supply as well as a star ground, I also got a Hum if I didn't connect the chassis earth to the star ground in the pre amp?
Is this somewhere were a Diode/Resister/Capacitor decoupling between the 2 grounds could help , any advice greatly appreciated :)
Alan
If you can post a close up photo of the 821, front and rear, I can mark the relevant traces you need to cut.
Cheers, Yair

Sorry Yair I cant find any photo's of my 821A boards and don't really have time to remove the boards from my pre amp ATM
Alan

advertisement

Back