advertisement

Has anyone ditched their CD Player......

I ditched my CDP in 2005, when I first got a NAS and ripped all my CDs. The architecture of my system hasn't changed since then.

How does it do indexing and search? This for me has been the problem with systems that just access remote storage. Whereas LMS running on a Synology NAS searches in a blink.

Tim

It's fine, quick as a bunny. I use their software on an Android pad.

And gone totally to network based audio?

I have found over the last few months I have been using my CD Player less and less and enjoying the convenience of the Auralic Aries Mini.

Just need to invest in a decent dac and the CD Player could be on its way.......
And gone totally to network based audio?

I have found over the last few months I have been using my CD Player less and less and enjoying the convenience of the Auralic Aries Mini.

Just need to invest in a decent dac and the CD Player could be on its way.......
I will never stop using my CD players, at least untill I depart this World. Sony XA5400ES & Sony UBP- X1000ES

How are people who persist with CD players managing to store and curate the large album collections they must have built up over the past decade of almost-free CDs? Out beyond five figures, I would have thought a small NAS box and searchable database was essential unless you want to live in a plastic palace of CD spines - or go streaming from Internet providers.

I find it surprising that people haven’t ditched players just on the grounds of practicality, never mind the sound quality benefits. Players really belong to an age where collections were tiny and the kind of access to music we have now a distant dream. Plus, more LP storage space is always welcome...

I've got a really sentimental attachment to my Linn CD12 which makes it a really difficult decision to part with it. If it fails for any reason and parts are unavailable then I guess the decision will be made for me, although I do keep in regular contact with the guys in Glasgow, and they still have stock of the major components including lasers. I did take the CD12 to a Linn dealer a little while ago to have a side-by-side comparison to the Linn Klimax DSM, and indeed a few other streaming devices. The CD12 was far superior to my ears and the Linn dealer said it'd been a few years since he'd heard a CD12 and had forgotten how good they were !

I did take the CD12 to a Linn dealer a little while ago to have a side-by-side comparison to the Linn Klimax DSM, and indeed a few other streaming devices. The CD12 was far superior to my ears and the Linn dealer said it'd been a few years since he'd heard a CD12 and had forgotten how good they were !

I read something the other day about Naim not having previously released a streaming equivalent to the 555 CD player because they couldn't match, let alone better, the sound quality of the CD playback. They now claim to have achieved parity with the new top-end streamer.

CD players have ditched me, I never managed more than two years before the disks stopped reading, from a variety of Marantz and Cambridge players. I just rip everything to a big hard drive in a server.
Tropical climate takes its toll

Which DAC, which CDT and which NWP?
The Network Player is a Naim ND5-XS which in its native form I felt was a slight improvement in SQ over the CD3.5 /Psu.

I added a new Audio Note DAC 2.1x Signature a few months ago, using the ND5 as source via its spdif out. This added a whole new level of realism that had been missing from the ND5’s onboard DAC, a major step up.

Having heard a number of demonstrations at my AN dealer I was sure I was still missing something on my system so I bought a used AN CDT Two and this has completed the jigsaw for me. It reveals musicality and realism the ND5 isn’t capable of. The ND5 has hardly been switched on since and I look forward to the sound of the postman dropping CDs through my letterbox almost daily.

I don’t pretend to understand the science of it but on my current system, the sound from a red-book CD beats a file of any resolution from the ND5 and all my visitors (none of them critical Audiophile listeners) have no problem hearing the difference. To be fair to the ND5 it’s still a really good bit of kit and at less than a quarter of the new cost of the AN CDT & DAC, the difference in SQ is understandable.

I'm re-enjoying my CD collection after giving an old Marantz CD65 a new lease of life as a transport. When I first tried it as a transport into the RCA digital input on my Devialet 440 pro it was rather unimpressive. So I decided to take a look at the SP/DIF output waveform on the scope and I was quite shocked how bad it was.

So I decided to modify the digital output by removing the horrible digital output transformer and taking a direct SP/DIF signal via a blocking capacitor and some miniature 75 ohm coax directly from the Philips digital filter chip to a BNC socket on the rear panel. I also installed a low jitter TCXO clock module. The SP/DIF waveform is now looking as it should and It's made quite a difference in sound quality I'm quite pleasantly surprised how good it is. Been spinning CD's more and more since.

I read something the other day about Naim not having previously released a streaming equivalent to the 555 CD player because they couldn't match, let alone better, the sound quality of the CD playback. They now claim to have achieved parity with the new top-end streamer.
I wonder whether naim (or some dealer) put out that story when they (apparently) couldn’t match the sound of the CD player or whether it only mysteriously came out when they had a new product to sell.

I wonder whether naim (or some dealer) put out that story when they (apparently) couldn’t match the sound of the CD player or whether it only mysteriously came out when they had a new product to sell.
Like Ivor claiming his record player was better than any CD player (with copious pseudoscience arguments to back himself up) until voila! he had his own CDP to flog.

I owned a CD555 for many years - a great CD player, no doubt about it, and I intended to keep it. But then out of curiosity, I borrowed a Chord QBD76HDSD DAC, which did sound better, so I eventually stopped using CDs altogether. Adding a Melco improved things further, & my current Chord DAVE's even better. Aside from the superior sound quality, being a bit infirm I find I'm much more likely to play music without having to get up & mess about changing discs. I still enjoy vinyl though, for the odd occasion.

Oddly enough, I went the other way, from a Melco back to CD. Perverse, or what?
Not necessarily, guess it depends what system you're using, and what DAC you're feeding. I've tried the Melco in my second system, now into a Denon AV processor, before into a Naim DAC V1, and it didn't sound much different to my usual source of Macbook Pro.

I haven't, I got hold of an Audionote CDT3 and am amazed at the quality of 44.1 redbook standard.

Not necessarily, guess it depends what system you're using, and what DAC you're feeding. I've tried the Melco in my second system, now into a Denon AV processor, before into a Naim DAC V1, and it didn't sound much different to my usual source of Macbook Pro.
Tony, they’re limited by what DAC you can use with them. I have an N1A and it won’t recognise two DACs I have. I’m surprised you got it to work with your Denon AV box. I have to say though, that not getting my arse off the sofa to change CDs has been a revelation- not to mention the ability to pick on a whim, from a huge selection of music using an iPad. I can’t read CD jewel case spine print any longer.

advertisement

Back