advertisement

Has anyone ditched their CD Player......

At the minute, in my listening room only, I have:-
1 transport and matching AS Dac
3 DACS
2 CDP.

The vast majority of listening is to Vinyl and for background NAS/Squeezebox/AS DAC.
I have about 15 X more vinyl than CDs.

You could have saved yourself time and possibly money by getting an Auralic Aries Mini. Their Lightning software is also way better than JRiver or Kazoo.

The time bit is no issue to me as I enjoy self builds, but for the price of an Aries Mini I have a 240GB SSD, 8GB RAM, quad core Pentium on an industrial motherboard, top class power supply, ability to stream 4K movies at 60fps, and the flexibility of Windows 10. For the sake of a couple of nights work this is worth it to me. The software side is easy enough to tweak and have dropped the latency right down on Kazoo, it hasn’t skipped a beat.

Got rid of my Karik / Numeric about 8 years ago when I decided that a Majik DS streamer sounded better & was so much more convenient.

Still but CDs (had 4 delivered this morning) & rip them to my QNAP

Another buying CDs for ripping to flac, no current interest in buying hi-res downloads or renting from streaming companies. Not had a stand alone CD player since the late 1990s, the final one was a Sony something or other with a five CD revolving tray. Always remained a full album listener throughout but avoid ripping awful 'bonus' tracks and 'studio chat' with the exception of Fleetwood Mac's classic, 'Blues Jam as Chess' which I once had in vinyl and played to death.

I don't really care where my 1s and 0s are stored.
So a choice between one box and thousands of boxes was pretty easy to make. I sold my CDP years ago.
I buy more vinyl than digital music and in the car just I bluetooth spotify from my phone.

Don't confuse 2 issues. The question was about ditching a CDP, not about ditching CDs. Buy a CD and rip it to local storage and listen to it sound better than it would on a CDP. I do not have a CD player, but I do have hundreds of CDs and I'm still buying them regularly.

I think the above point (made some time ago now) is still valid but there are other combinations as well which do not involve downloads or streaming.

My silver disc purchases have for some time been on blu-ray, some video (all opera - 24bit/48kHz)) but others hi-res audio-only (24 bit/192 kHz). Obviously these cannot be used on a CD player, so 2 out of my 4 systems have Oppo universal players which I use to play not only blu-ray video & audio, but also SACDs & CDs.
A 3rd system has an Arcam blu-ray player for both video & hi-res pure audio (but cannot do SACD on this system), but it also has my only (remaining in use) CD player, a Rega Saturn-R, but this also has built in digital inputs - effectively a Rega DAC built-in.
A 4th system (which is in fact my main system) only has an SACD player for recorded music (no TV on this system), but also has an FM tuner (as do 2 others of my systems) & an Audiolab M-DAC+ which has almost every type of digital input there is. All my CDs (including hybrid SACDs) are ripped onto my Apple Mac Pro computer & copied onto 2 i-pods, both used with Oppo HA2 (/SE) headphone amplifiers/DACs which can be used for not only portable music, but also for headphone listening from my main systems as they have an analogue input.
I do have one CD-only player, a Quad 99CDP (which incidentally has 6 digital inputs, 3 optical & 3 co-axial but no USB) but I retired this in favour of an Oppo 105 so that I could create space for a turntable. I also have a second turntable on one other system.

It is generally assumed that the decline in sale of CD discs & players are the same thing, but this is not so although I think it is absolutely certain that both will continue to decline, but I think discs will outlast the CD-only player (too many alternative types of player) although these will be various types of silver disc. As for down-loads & streaming, these will continue to compete against each other, & vinyl will continue its re-birth as each new generation "discovers" analogue. Last but not least, FM radio will start its revival now that the BBC have come (partially) to their senses.

I like idea of new Denon player 2500NE. It can play dsd and hi-res pcm audio files from dvd-r discs. I am tempted to choose it over new computer based as old one soon will need retire.

Hold the phone - I found a way to do computer audio with NO COMPUTER RUNNING. The Bluesound Node 2 will read off a NAS drive connected to the network. No PC needs to be running. No server software to maintain. Just point your Bluesound device to the network address of the NAS and it's done.

It's a great system, I've given up on disc players (for the second and most likely final time).

And gone totally to network based audio?

I have found over the last few months I have been using my CD Player less and less and enjoying the convenience of the Auralic Aries Mini.

Just need to invest in a decent dac and the CD Player could be on its way.......

I've ditched the turntable 4 or 5 years ago. The CD player is still sitting around but was left untouched for more than 2 years collecting dust. It will be used to play my CDs which were also left untouched for more than 2 years now all kept in boxes. I'm not sure if I would listen to CDs again but they are all staying until I decide whether they would be on their way..

ps. I have couple of DVD players that could double up as a CD player, if that qualifies. They are still sitting around..

Hold the phone - I found a way to do computer audio with NO COMPUTER RUNNING. The Bluesound Node 2 will read off a NAS drive connected to the network. No PC needs to be running. No server software to maintain. Just point your Bluesound device to the network address of the NAS and it's done.

It's a great system, I've given up on disc players (for the second and most likely final time).

How does it do indexing and search? This for me has been the problem with systems that just access remote storage. Whereas LMS running on a Synology NAS searches in a blink.

Tim

I agree completely, the effort of selecting & loading a CD and flipping through the booklet just has me more invested in the album and more likely to enjoy it all the way through.

Another big bonus is the CD player never needs rebooting, router restarts or finding the iPad prior to enjoying music.

ah sounds like a record die hard also? ;)

ah sounds like a record die hard also? ;)

I gave up the black stuff many years ago. Have been tempted to go back many times but it never made sense given I would want many of my existing CD titles to compare and that would be expensive and a bit daft. I’ve also heard some recent pressings (on a friend’s high-end setup) which are very poor and lifeless in their presentation compared with older pressing AND with CD. I think some vinyl manufacturers may be just catering for the hipsters.

I only recently discovered how much Better a good CD transport & dac sounds than my network player and just thought I’d share the experience as it may save someone from finding that “ditching the CDs” could be a source of deep regret later. I guess that makes me a CD diehard..... I can’t find an emoji of a CD wearing a dirty vest:D

Still got my old 3.5 but it' not switched on these days and just sits in the rack.
Mainly use my nd5xs 80% and my rega P6 the rest of the time.
Still like the CD but my streamer sound more alive and so easy to just listern too, but strangely I still look at second hand naim cup like the CDS 2 ect as I quite like to own one still, but worry that if it brakes it will end up just an expenive black box.
Looking into ripping all my old cds to hard drive but don't really know how to go about it all or if it's even worth it

in clearing shelves whilst packing i came across my Technics Slp 777 so called Class AA which i hadnt listened to in years having a Rega Planet as main spinner

the technics was my first standalone cd player.... i was very surprised how good it sounded...im glad to have the contrasting sound

i would stream if i had broadband but ...rural life

advertisement

Back