advertisement

Has anyone any experience with acoustics in a pitched roof room?

itskeith

pfm Member
Fingers crossed I’ll be moving in 3 months and there will be a room allocated for the Den / listening room
smiley.gif
angel.gif

The room is quite long and narrow with a pitched roof. At one end of the room there is an open staircase. Length is 17’ 0” (5.18m) which I believe is the length excluding the staircase x 9’9 at the widest point (2.97m).

As there is no furniture for it yet, so I’m trying to get an idea on what may be the best layout speakers wise, and was wondering has anyone any experience of acoustics in a pitched roof type room? I would of course like to buy some furniture in advance and the room layout is likely to steer this.

Are the speakers likely to sound lot better firing down the room, or would they possibly be ok firing across the room into the sloping down ceiling?

Current system is Topping MX3 and headphones (i.e. no speakers)
laugh.gif

System I’m aiming for will hopefully / eventually be a Quad Vena 2 Play (Streamer / Dac and 45W amp) and Acoustic Energy AE1’s or Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a’s
angel.gif

Yes there will be no vinyl
shocked.gif
evil.gif

If anyone has any experience of this and a strong suggestion. i.e. probably best / almost certainly best / definitely best firing down the room / not sure - try both etc, please let me know.

Cheers
occasion14.gif

Keith

Pitched roofs sound great, better than cubes. Speakers at the shallow end, or whatever gives symmetrical roof height to line of fire.

I’ve lived with this room for over 30 years first with Quad ESL-57’s and now with Tannoy DMT-15’s. It has a stairway behind with a taller ceiling. The room has always sounded great!

14rdRPn.jpg

Depends on the height of the pitched ceiling. If it's a typical loft sort of room with the ceiling dropping to a few feet at the sides, it could be challenging to get good sound.
A friend had Quad 989s firing down and no matter what we tried they never got anywhere near what they sounded like in his previous room :(.

Might be OK with LS3/5As firing across.

Acoustically measure with REW and a microphone and you will literally see the effect the room is having.
Keith

A friend of mine has Isobariks in a relatively small room with pitched roof and it works fine. I didn't think it would but it does.

My listening room is a 3m x 4m wooden cabin at the end of my garden. The roof if pitched with 4 slopes and only goes up to 2.5m in height. The floor is surprisingly rigid, ply/insul/ply sandwich covered in tongue and groove. That walls are doubled skinned and insulated and the roof is insulated. Required due to neighbours and family ( I listen late at night ). I was concerned during the build that I would have to downsize my system but after the first listen upon completion it sounded far better and more immersive than it did in the house. The speakers fire across the room as this give more space either side of them. There is enough room to make the distance between the speakers exactly (I measured) the same as from the listening position. I think the wood helps in absorbing unwanted nastiness. Carpet tiles on the floor, 3 windows and door windows covered with bamboo blinds (the type made up of lots of very thin bits). Some floating shelves at one end and two ikea besta units for lps and a lack table for wine and remotes. Oh, and of course the system itself. All sounds a bit cluttered but it’s not at all. I can’t think of a more challenging environment for hifi and the whole thing was planned around aesthetics and convenience rather than any sort of acoustic science. It’s worked brilliantly for me over the last 10+ years and hope at least some of this is useful.

When I mentioned this to a dealer regarding my room, without hesitation it was to place them at the walls that had the lowest flat surface.
I use a DSPeaker anti-mode with Quad 2912 (large) in a 4.5x4.5m2 apexed room without issues.

I used Quad ESL57s for many years in a big attic room firing with the sloping walls left and right from the listening seat. The best sound I have ever heard. Sadly I had to move and the 'statics never sounded the same.

Double pitch dormer in my old attic room great soundstage, much better than the current 13 x 15ft

advertisement

Back