advertisement

Has any body outboarded the transformer on a nait3?

Hello Andy,
Still no replies! It now appears that you would be the first to experiment with this Nait 3 option. You seem to have the necessary skill-sets to complete this task so I believe it is now up to you to decide whether to venture this course of action? You would of course be pioneering this option/procedure with no guarantee of the outcome, but I believe there should be a noticeable or significant sonic gain, just by the distancing the transformer from the electronics!
Again I recall this account to support this view:- Some 5 years ago I had asked this of Naim - "Why did a SuperCap bring greater sonic benefit when it replaced a Hi-Cap; the LK317 regulator boards appearing identical?" The reason given for the sonic improvement was that the SuperCap's full-sized case facilitated the Toroidal Xfmer being placed further away from the electronics - resulting in less magnetic interference!
My experience of outboarding the Avondale CD3 transformer also affirms this.

Here's hoping for a positive outcome.
Best regards
Roy

Thanks for your encouragement, Roy.
Is the NAT03 similarly virgin territory for the inveterate outboarder??
When I built up my White Noise supply for my 102 I did think that the case provided was small. I'm sure that a larger case will provide some benefit and is on my list of economical upgrades; I am after a good source of heavy- weight cases such as Naim or Avondale use-any ideas??
At present I have benefitted from some of your recommendations for mains improvement but will be limited to the ring main for now; 17th century stone walls mean serious problems when new spurs are demanded!! I am looking at trying a consumer unit with breakers and earth leakage protection to permit a fuse cull and connection reduction when I have acquired the bits needed.
Cheers Andy.

Hello Andrew,
Is the NAT03 similarly virgin territory for the inveterate outboarder??
Probably - but still worth posting/asking the question here. Nothing ventured - nothing gained!
17th century stone walls mean serious problems when new spurs are demanded!!
I understand your dilemma, however the Steel Wired Armoured Mains installation option is favoured in difficult circumstances such as you describe. This can usually be run externally around the building to the Hi-Fi location. The Memera C.U being connected on the end of this 25mm2 or 35mm2 SWA cable and located behind/adjacent to the hi-fi rack. Mains document "Mp" explains the Installation schematics and shoping list of parts.
Treat all these Mains items as part of the Hi-Fi and if you ever move home then simply recover them and take them with you.

Hello Jo.
Very useful, it looks good as well! - Thanks.

Best regards
Roy

advertisement

Back