advertisement

Hardly any megapixels at all pics

Rockmeister

pfm Member
Been digging through old pics and reminded myself that some of the pics I like most have hardly any MP's at all....nor an expensive camera, nor a huge sensor nor even very good glass.

Like this

DSCF0368 by John Dutfield, on Flickr

I wanted to remind myself to think about my photographic 'voice'...what am I trying to say with my pics, and not worry about the equipment.
This was a FujiFinePix J50.
1/2.5" sensor. 8mp. 38-185 eq zoom, from 2008. Good little pocket camera.

What pics do you like that were taken on basic kit? Please post some here. I'd love to see them.

Yep.

I'd rather have a toy camera with me and be in a beautiful location with good conditions and an eye for composition, than have the latest and greatest gear but stuck somewhere with poor photographic potential / subjects / conditions.

Lefty

DCP-4543-1024px.jpg

October2003; I needed a break and went to Scotland for 3 weeks, taking a work-issued camera with me - Kodak DX3600 says the exif data, all2MP of it- yet gave me some great records of a fabulous time, and this remains a favourite.

At the Stones of Stenness on Orkney, daylight was fading fast, mist crawling off both lochs as the temperature dropped in very still air. A magical time.

Last edited:
Some of the best pictures I ever took were with a 1960s Zenit B, fitted with a 35mm f3.5 manual stop down lens, using Kodachrome 25. No automation whatsoever. Separate light meter.

You had to think more back then.

+1 to that; I have and enjoy still, both a Yashicamat - original with no meter - and my Grandfathers Braun Paxette set (bought new c 1952) and use them with the Gossen Sixtomat light meter from the latter 's set. A slow pleasure - and no batteries required...

Actually -heading down that road for a bit and into the personal -this is my favourite pic taken with that Braun Paxette 3, with the 50mm lens (we had the 35, 50 and 80mm) - and I can date it precisely: 2 July 1986. I was barely fifteen, and it was my grandparents 50th wedd anniv; they'd married on Helen's birthday.

Tripod, cable release, Agfa film (Reg always used Agfa film,or Kodak for transparencies - and this thing took thousands of slides!) - maybe a cheeky gin or two:

IMG_8314_paxette_600px.jpg

These day I'd likely frame better or crop, edit it a hair; but that's the whole frame, as it landed then; a process that cemented my love of photography and encouraged by someone I loved, very much. Good times.

DCP-4543-1024px.jpg

Ocotober2003; I needed a break and went to Scotland for 3 weeks, taking a work-issued camera with me - Kodak DX3600 says the exif data, all2MP of it- yet gave me some great records of a fabulous time, and this remains a favourite.

At the Stones of Stenness on Orkney, daylight was fading fast, mist crawling off both lochs as the temperature dropped in very still air. A magical time.
magical pic, just seems right for the place. Love the smoke blowing across from the cottage chimney.

Some of the best pictures I ever took were with a 1960s Zenit B, fitted with a 35mm f3.5 manual stop down lens, using Kodachrome 25. No automation whatsoever. Separate light meter.

You had to think more back then.

Back in the '70s I had a Zenit E for a few years - built like the proverbial brick building (and weight to match).
Got some great results with it - including some of my favourite snaps ever - like this one:

:: man bridge bird car :: by mikmas101, on Flickr

... digital just doesn't quite do it for me :(

DCP-4543-1024px.jpg

Ocotober2003; I needed a break and went to Scotland for 3 weeks, taking a work-issued camera with me - Kodak DX3600 says the exif data, all2MP of it- yet gave me some great records of a fabulous time, and this remains a favourite.

The muted colours and tones are magical :)

Last edited:
And, we name our pics:)
Am quite taken by ‘man,bridge, bird, car’.

I’ve done a few photo comps and courses. I don’t think anyone ever mentioned sharpness or resolution. It was all composition and subject, moment and statement. That’s what I need to get back to. And a camera that I love to use.

534640256_40492fbe36_c.jpg

Mugstar rocking out captured on a grainy MkI Ricoh GR Digital on its 1600 ASA setting.

534788045_946cc55e10_c.jpg

Faust later that evening on the same camera.

PS Not that low megapixel wise, but it was a really noisy sensor that could look quite interesting when abused in low light/high contrast situations like this.

advertisement

Back