advertisement

Harbeths and walls - how near or how far?

Peter Keen

pfm Member
Calling all Harbeth users, especially the smaller ones (the speakers that is, not the owners!)...

I'm gradually pulling together what will be my main system for a new home, and researching the speaker options that fit my taste and budget keeps bringing me back to the smaller Harbeths (P3ESR and M30.1). The reviews, spec and heritage suggest these really could be for me, but for one key factor - their tolerance or otherwise to placement near to walls. Realistically, I'm not going to be able to bring any speaker much further out into the room than 30cm from the rear wall, and around 60-70cm from side walls. Ideally I'd go further back but struggle to find any speakers that appeal to me that seem designed for such tight placement. I've two possible room options, both with 2.7m high ceilings - one 5 x 7m, the other 3.5 x 4.5m.

So, what experiences do users have of the sensitivity/tolerance of these speakers to placement close to walls?

Peter

HLP3s are ok about 30cm away from back wall. Can’t comment on M30 but I had HL-K6s which are similar in size and slightly spoiled by being that close to back wall, but still possible. The Spendor variants on the P3 theme do very well close to back wall- that’s the S3/5R and D1. All three minis are not great in a big room unless you’re within 2m of them IMHO

In short, you ideally want at least .5m from any boundary with 30.1 and up. The P3's may fare better in your scenario. As ever, home dem to avoid disappointment.

My own experience is with 5's - they assuredly don't like near-boundary placement.

My mate has his P3 just a few inches from the wall and the sound really fun there :)

My own pair are about 70cm from the wall and sound cleaner, but less bassy.

Both positions are enjoyable though.

I use P3ESRs and M30s about 35cm from the back wall and 60cm from the side walls. The room is quite large and "L" shaped, and I listen near field most of the time.

I'd agree with Barryb with regard to placement of the M30.1 and larger Harbeth. However, MikeMA has his M30 about 35cm from the wall so I guess listening levels must be rather low so that the room will not be excited. In the end it is all about making compromises with placement of speakers in the room and managing expectations with the quality of sound you are getting. One will only be dissatisfied when the threshold is surpassed or breached.

With the 30cm from rear wall and 60-70cm from side wall limitations, I would be more inclined to go with the P3ESR rather than the M30. I've had the SHL5 close to 10 years now in several rooms with many placement configurations. They always sound better when they have more room from the wall behind them (>50cm). In my experience you still can place the speakers closer too the side wall but with toe-in. However, you can't place the speakers too close to the wall behind. This applies to the M30.1 and larger speakers.

Currently for my Super HL5 Plus speakers, they are approximately 68cm-80cm from the wall behind (difference is due to toe-in angle) and 55cm from the side wall.

The thread has prompted me to think that perhaps Harbeth and Spendor are missing a trick by not having a medium size infinite baffle design on the market. They’ve already invested in driver production and while market demand is somewhat restricted for larger IB designs, what there is could be cornered by them if you’ll pardon the pun.

Hi have a pair of P3 40th edition they are just over 30cm from rear wall and about 80cm from the side wall and they sound great.But unfortunately it has a lot to do with room acoustics as well.

Mike

You will have no troubles. I regularly use Harbeths anywhere from 1 - 2.5 ft from the rear wall, depending on the customer's requirements. Sometimes, customers will use the P3ESR right up against the rear wall, because they have little room or are used on a desk.

When you go for a demo, ask for the speakers to be used close to the wall, to judge if that's OK for you.

I also used M30's about 35-45cm from a wall with no issues. Although the diminutive Harbeth is lovely, the M30 is lovelier by quite a margin. If you have the space, go for an M30.

So many hi fi's spoiled by people giving a toss about interior decor.... My Spendor BCII's are about a metre from the back wall and 1.5 from side walls, as they (and many other speakers) should be. I can only get from one end of the room to the other with great difficulty due to prototype power amps X 5 laid out all over the floor and not in cases so transformers, heatsinks etc on carpet... prototype pres and phono stages, boxes of cables, an oscilloscope, a spare PC and monitor, and 7 guitars crammed behind the TV... I can't get to my bay window to open the curtains or window due to more prototypes, text books, PSU's blocking access so they remain permanently closed...

People have the wrong attitude altogether to this and need to find some dedication to the cause:D

I have C7s about a foot out and they sound good to me. I used to bring them further out for long sessions but wasn't sure I preferred them that way, and I don't bother any more. As an experiment I once put them about the same distance from the side walls and they sounded awful.

I can only get from one end of the room to the other with great difficulty due to prototype power amps X 5 laid out all over the floor and not in cases so transformers, heatsinks etc on carpet... prototype pres and phono stages, boxes of cables, an oscilloscope, a spare PC and monitor, and 7 guitars crammed behind the TV... I can't get to my bay window to open the curtains or window due to more prototypes, text books, PSU's blocking access so they remain permanently closed...

People have the wrong attitude altogether to this and need to find some dedication to the cause:D

Pictures or it never happened!

The thread has prompted me to think that perhaps Harbeth and Spendor are missing a trick by not having a medium size infinite baffle design on the market. They’ve already invested in driver production and while market demand is somewhat restricted for larger IB designs, what there is could be cornered by them if you’ll pardon the pun.

Spendor's classic line is straying further and further from the BBC-designed models and it's more likely that such a speaker may come from them. They have recently developed the SP200 which is sealed.

Spendor's classic line is straying further and further from the BBC-designed models and it's more likely that such a speaker may come from them. They have recently developed the SP200 which is sealed.
Now that interesting- I didn’t know about the 200.
Ahem....I just found them...and saw the price tag.

Agreed, someone is really missing a trick here. Retro/ Vintage is in - the pervasiveness of clubs and venues marketing themselves chiefly on their systems is noteworthy (not all are vintage spec but even so, some contemporary bespoke systems look vintage). Seems the trend went from Japan to NY, to London and now elsewhere, if I'm not mistaken. This will trickle down to consumer level.

Perhaps the new Linton 85's are aimed at such market. Not sure how they'd play in ever smaller living spaces...

If they have to go tight to the wall and the Harbeths don't fit the bill then might I recommend the Guru Audio Junior. Classic styling, a little cheaper and a fantastic speaker.

Pictures or it never happened!

Ye of little faith....:D

U7JD0lG.jpg

Dusters are a Korean car are they not? Quentin Crisp was right!

advertisement

Back