advertisement

HARBETHS AND STANDS, do they make a difference

I am a HiFi Racks customer, they emailed a newsletter last week with a new range of custom Harbeth stands. Worth checking out.

This is a no-brainer for them and they are well priced, about the same as Something Solid if you prefer a wood finish.

Open stands from 'Something Solid' did the business when i had Compact 7's. They sounded completely different when i tried some other better looking options.

Those might look nice but wouldn't use a stand with that kind of solid top plate with Harbeth. Open frame is the way to go for my ears. Of course some might prefer the sound with solid top plate too.

Making an open frame top plate version of those might be worth considering for this maker... they sure do look nice.

Love these stands too. A bit expensive when you factor in shipping.

Hi guys for anyone interested I've had an e-mail reply back from the manufacturer of those speaker stands above quoting an ex-works price of $170 a pair not including freight charges so I've e-mailed back asking for an indication of freight and customs charges.

The price for the stands themselves seems very reasonable.

Tony

Hi guys for anyone interested I've had an e-mail reply back from the manufacturer of those speaker stands above quoting an ex-works price of $170 a pair not including freight charges so I've e-mailed back asking for an indication of freight and customs charges.

The price for the stands themselves seems very reasonable.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I requested a quote from them back in 2013. See below. They might have dropped their prices since ...

Dear Bernard,

Please check the price as following:
PWM-30 standard:USD590/pair
PWM-30 in cherry:USD740/pair
BWS-5 but with 60 mm height:USD510/pair
BWS-5 in Cherry with 60 mm height:USD640/pair
The shipping cost is about USD400.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Nobility Furnishing
Nancy

Hi Tony,

I requested a quote from them back in 2013. See below. They might have dropped their prices since ...

Dear Bernard,

Please check the price as following:
PWM-30 standard:USD590/pair
PWM-30 in cherry:USD740/pair
BWS-5 but with 60 mm height:USD510/pair
BWS-5 in Cherry with 60 mm height:USD640/pair
The shipping cost is about USD400.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Nobility Furnishing
Nancy

Thanks Berni, looks like the shipping will be the killer, unfortunately.

I'll post the reply when I receive it.

Tony

Hi guys just received a reply re shipping charges for the stands linked to above.

The postage makes the stands £277 with possible customs charges, anyone know what those are likely to be based on the $170 for the stands?

I think that, even with the postal charges, these stands are very reasonably priced.

Tony

"Dear Tony,

Thanks for your information.
Because the goods only one carton,we have asked the shipping company,send DHL express to you is cheaper than shipping by sea,the express cost estimated is USD $265(not include the goods price,only freight),thanks."

Received these mails today guys,

"Dear Tony,

Thanks for your information.

According to your informations,P3 ESR will be suitable in PWS-3(link below) loundspeaker stands,which is specially made for P3 ESR,thanks.

http://www.guizu.com.cn/space.php?do=product&pid=61&lg=en

Looking forward to hearing from you soon
Best regards
Yoyo"

And

"
Dear Tony,

Thanks for your reply.

PWS-3 Ex-work price:USD $342/pair(not include the shipping cost)

The shipping cost with DHL estimated:USD $354(not include the goods price)

Looking forward to hearing from you soon
Best regards
Yoyo"

Surely they are far too wide and low for an LS3/5A size box, more a cheap stand for a Compact 7 I'd have thought.

Yes, but they are excellent for other loudspeakers, and for £7.00 each they are bargain speaker stands.
I am a little cynical about the claims made for some stands, as I am with some of the claims made for other audio kit.
Cryogenically treated fuses, for instance.
Having worked at Oxford University's Chemistry Dept. and used liquid nitrogen for a number of things,
I know its effects very well.

Yes, stands make a difference. I have a pair of M30.1s and initially bought Something Solid stands, which I didn't like, either in terms of their appearance or effect on sound. They seemed to make the speakers forward in the upper midrange, which worked well with rock but not with acoustic music, especially classical. Eventually I bought some Custom Design speakers, which they made to my specified dimensions. I much prefer them, both visually and in terms of the effect on the speakers' sound, which they make more weighty and 'thick', which seems to be more realistic in terms of acoustic instruments.

It does trouble me that Alan Shaw claims stands make no difference. They do, as most people have here stated. It makes me wonder what other crucial factors of design he is overlooking.

I don't know about stands, but I have a pair of P3ESRs here ATM and they are remarkably sensitive to amplifiers. I'm pretty sure I could win the Alan Shaw challenge using P3s in my system.

It does trouble me that Alan Shaw claims stands make no difference. They do, as most people have here stated. It makes me wonder what other crucial factors of design he is overlooking.

I agree stands make a difference. I also think Alan Shaw gets a lot of things correct.
Re. Stands & Loudspeakers, I feel it depends on the speakers. My Harbeth P3ESRs are on Linn Kan stands and they certainly sound better than they did on two Ikea chairs.
On the other hand, my Dynaco A25s on the Ikea stools sound the same as they do on the Ikea chairs.
The stools are (a) the correct height and (b) look right with the Dynacos, especially stained to the same colour as the A25s cabinets.

I'm trying some Monitor 30.1 at the moment, but I've had multiple Harbeths in the house of late. This evening I tried the M30.1 with their own boxes for stands. These are 56.8cm heigh and by chance that seems to me absolutely perfect for these speakers. I think 60cm is a little too high and find that they sound a more detached. Of course I realise it's relative to sofa heigh.

However, cardboard box does not seem to be an ideal stand material. I found I got some pretty serious boom around the port region with this arrangement.

Curiously I was also listening to a pair of C7ES2 on the same cardboard boxes and didn't get this boom. When I had C7ES3 I found stand height critical to get the bass correct because too close to the floor induced boom. The ports on C7s are positioned at the bottom, and this is a significant difference from the M30.1.

Of course the P3s are unported, which eliminates some of these problems, and explains why they have currently been allowed sojourn in S-Man's house.

advertisement

Back