advertisement

HARBETHS AND STANDS, do they make a difference

Isn't it Rob? I've read some of his rhetoric on these two subjects and that is certainly the impression projected.

His view is largely that of Peter Walker, which is that amplifiers where linearity sits within reasonable limits will sound the same into most loudspeaker loads. Those limits just happen to be satisfied by most amplifiers sold in recent decades, but not all by any means. It would be fair to say that Shaw, Walker and supporters hold that most amplifiers sound the sound into most loudspeaker loads.

Taking the often repeated but inaccurate reports on the opinion of Shaw (and Walker) as read, this would imply that say a 10w 300B SET sounds the same as Krell KSA200. Clearly the specs are miles apart in many key areas, as is the sound.

Common sense has to prevail :)

To be fair to Harbeth and Alan Shaw, that isn't his view - or anyone else's for that matter!

If I recall correctly, Alan Shaw does recommend Skylan stands for his speakers. Re. Amplifiers, he offered a pair of his M 40 speakers to anyone who could discriminate between different amplifiers in a set-up at Harbeth.

No one took up the challenge.

I have an open mind. With a scientific background at a University Chemistry Lab. I had to.
I use one of Peter Walker's amplifiers with my P3ERSs and it works well. The combination gives me great pleasure. I attend live music, run a PA and do a little recording as well.
After all, music is what it's all about...

Ive read a lot about it, solid stands, light stands , full of kitty litter, sand, rice...special material, bricks...

mr Shaw says that his speakers sound well on every surface even on a chair, and stand dont make any difference,
and i would like to say, that if the creator of them say this probably is the truth

what are your opinions about it?

discuss

Basically it is best to avoid stands and go for slim floorstanders. Of course Shaw IMO is wrong, stands do effect the sound greatly as does the room

If I recall correctly, Alan Shaw does recommend Skylan stands for his speakers.

Is that just because owners have to use some form of stand and the Skylans are the right height, or because he actively believes that his speakers perform better on the Skylans than on alternatives?

Re. Amplifiers, he offered a pair of his M 40 speakers to anyone who could discriminate between different amplifiers in a set-up at Harbeth.

No one took up the challenge.

It's true that nobody took him on this challenge but then the details of the stipulated requirements were such that nobody was likely to. Frankly, that whole episode struck me as nothing more than a poor marketing gimmick. If he really wanted to prove something he should, and could, have organised it himself and invited people to attend.

Basically it is best to avoid stands and go for slim floorstanders.

Please show your workings! IME slim floorstanders are the least successful format of speaker yet envisaged. I can't actually think of any I like at all! They all strike me as a hopeless compromise; a long boomy ported box obviously attempting and failing to get usable bass out of what is in reality a tiny mini-monitor bass-mid unit. Give me a true miniature (LS3/5A to ProAc 1SC size), a hefty stand mount (say ES11 to BC1 sized), or a true no-compromise floor-stander (i.e. 3-way with a 12" bass or larger) any day. The slim lifestyle stuff is just a compromise too far for me.

Please show your workings! IME slim floorstanders are the least successful format of speaker yet envisaged. I can't actually think of any I like at all! They all strike me as a hopeless compromise; a long boomy ported box obviously attempting and failing to get usable bass out of what is in reality a tiny mini-monitor bass-mid unit. Give me a true miniature (LS3/5A to ProAc 1SC size), a hefty stand mount (say ES11 to BC1 sized), or a true no-compromise floor-stander (i.e. 3-way with a 12" bass or larger) any day. The slim lifestyle stuff is just a compromise too far for me.

I suggest you audition the KEF R500 just given OUTSTANDING PRODUCT rating in November Hi-Fi News & Record Review. " amount of bass is one thing, but quality is quite another and the KEFs scored full marks here, combined with the top end clarity and midband purity, gave a highly addictive result." The only stand mounted speaker I like is the Sonus Faber Guanari £12.5 K takes two men to lift the stand.

Exactly my experience , tall thin fart boxes, awful.
Keith

Exactly my experience , tall thin fart boxes, awful.
Keith

NONSENSE Have you auditioned the KEF R500 ? I have just played The Sheffield Lab Drum Record through the KEFs using the Goldmund JOB 225 amp No need for bigger speakers or amplifier in my 26ft X 12.5 ft room sound was simply sensational.

The only stand mounted speaker I like is the Sonus Faber Guanari £12.5 K takes two men to lift the stand.

Wow, that's a sweeping statement! To be honest, I think you may need to hear a few more speakers.

In many cases floorstander speakers are really standmounts but with the sides of the cabinet extended to reach the floor - so effectively they have a built in MDF stand.

Those speakers that do use the entire internal volume of the cabinet to load the drivers experience significantly greater issues with cabinet flexure due to the increased panel size. This can be overcome with extra bracing etc. but that inevitably pushes the price up.

Wow, that's a sweeping statement! To be honest, I think you may need to hear a few more speakers.

In many cases floorstander speakers are really standmounts but with the sides of the cabinet extended to reach the floor - so effectively they have a built in MDF stand.

Those speakers that do use the entire internal volume of the cabinet to load the drivers experience significantly greater issues with cabinet flexure due to the increased panel size. This can be overcome with extra bracing etc. but that inevitably pushes the price up.

AGAIN ABSOLUTE RUBBISH Go and read both the Hi-Fi News Review and on the net the Sound Stage Review. I have heard as the saying goes more loudspeakers than you have eaten hot dinners. I demonstrated the original Harbeth HLI at Heathrow with the designer Dudley Harwood . If you look at the KEF R range brochure you will see the internal construction of the R500 nothing like a stand.

NONSENSE Have you auditioned the KEF R500 ? I have just played The Sheffield Lab Drum Record through the KEFs using the Goldmund JOB 225 amp No need for bigger speakers or amplifier in my 26ft X 12.5 ft room sound was simply sensational.

Actually I am going to visit KEF in the next couple of weeks, I did enjoy one of their new 'reference' series whenI heard it at Munich,I also liked the Blade and LS50's there are always exceptions!
Keith.

Give me a decent small speaker on a stand anyday. I'm with Tony here, can't see any benefit in making a floor stander other than WAF, and giving a little driver something a bigger box to fart into. Floorstanders always boom in my room. Heaven knows I tried a few. Speakers with decent sized bass drivers or my current stand mounts / subs don't. Discuss.

It's true that nobody took him on this challenge but then the details of the stipulated requirements were such that nobody was likely to. Frankly, that whole episode struck me as nothing more than a poor marketing gimmick. If he really wanted to prove something he should, and could, have organised it himself and invited people to attend.

I don't recall his requirements were that different from any other comparison I have seen.
He is a level-headed individual who holds certain views . If others wish to disagree, then that is OK with me. He is entitled to his views just as much as others, those who appear to use pseudo science in their claims.

I am of the persuasion that all differences can be explained logically and on a scientific basis.
If other want to believe things like cable directionality, it's up to them...

advertisement

Back