1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Harbeth M40.2 vs Graham Audio LS5/8

Discussion in 'audio' started by darkmatter, Aug 24, 2018.

1. darkmatter

darkmatter pfm Member

Just wondering if anyone here has had the chance to compare the two designs from a sound quality point of view?

I would be particularly interested in the comparison between the two for tonal balance, accuracy, dynamics/timing and bass performance.

Thanks,

DM :)

2. tuga

tuga European

From a conceptual perspective it is better not to have a 2-way speaker with a 12" woofer, even when the tweeter is unusually large as is the case, as this will affect off-axis response.
    Also such a woofer will probably require a more complex crossover to massage a few bumps out of the frequency response and splitting the midrange from the bass over two drivers will reduce intermodulation distortion.

I've not listened to either but both speakers would have a place on my shortlist.

Old Shatterhand likes this.
  3. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

That is correct. The mid band of the M40.2, with it's dedicated mid driver, is natural and easy going as it is freed of attempting to produce bass.

4. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand Odeon Audio user

@ tuga: Couldn't agree more, a 12inch Midrangebassdriver isn't a good construction.

As I always say, you can't cheat the physic.:D

5. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

Aren't they the same speakers (12" polyprop + Audax tweeter ) that often got "sound of show" at the Hifiwigwam Scalford show? - Ok, I don't think there was an actual "sound of show award" but the majority seemed to be in agreement, as did I.

6. Cyclopse

Cyclopse Well-Known Member

Harbeth use a Radial 2 driver. They are built in house with a proprietary polymer mix.

7. Old Shatterhand

Old Shatterhand Odeon Audio user

8. tuga

tuga European

I remember reading the patent documents, I think it mentioned something like glass? beads in a polypropylene-like base.

9. tuga

tuga European

Derek Hughes has been involved with the large BBC boxes like the BC3 and designed the Spendor S100/SP100 and the active SA500 if I'm not mistaken. I think that he also participated in the design of the M40. He's extremely competent.

10. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

You can only ever know as much as you know. He most likely knows more than most.

11. Ayya Khema

Ayya Khema pfm Member

since the tweeter is large, it can work as a system to sue a 12 inch to a tweeter

both will have advantage and I wouldnt buy without proper audition.

12. mattgbell

mattgbell Stop worrying!

Yes, that's right. But from a price perspective it's apples and oranges: £7K vs £10.5K.

13. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

...but I am sitting in front of a pair and they sound delightful.

14. tuga

tuga European

I am happy for you.

That still doesn't change the limitations of such a topology over that of a 3-way.

There are ways to minimise the off-axis anomalies.
    If the tweeter is located concentric to the woofer it is possible to reduce the dispersion of the tweeter at the bottom of its operating range, though the movement of the cone would produce Doppler distortion. Tannoy uses a horn tweeter, Genelec and I think Kef use a waveguide. A waveguide can also be used with a non-concentric tweeter for the same effect.

15. tuga

tuga European

I am happy for you.

That still doesn't change the limitations of such a topology over that of a 3-way.

There are ways to minimise the off-axis anomalies.
    If the tweeter is located concentric to the woofer it is possible to reduce the dispersion of the tweeter at the bottom of its operating range, though the movement of the cone would produce Doppler and IMD distortion. Tannoy uses a horn tweeter, Genelec and I think Kef use a waveguide. A waveguide can also be used with a non-concentric tweeter for the same effect.

16. tuga

tuga European

You get what you pay for, in this case an extra driver.

To be honest I wish that Graham Audio had chosen to produce a modern improved version of the BBC models instead of an as faithful as possible one.

17. mattgbell

mattgbell Stop worrying!

Indeed, that was sort of my point.

18. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

19. tuga

tuga European

20. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Yes I'm well aware of the Neumann info-I wonder if those measurements are of a Neumann 2-way?Anyway you really should block your port and get a sub;-).
    You brought up Tannoy DC's.
    The Tannoy link merely informs you it is perfectly possible to design a 2 way with low IMD-I see TAD managed to do an even better job (@30x the price of the Tannoys).

This is an interesting summation of current thinking re doppler distortion-its a non-issue in most cases other that your pet hate, single drivers....;-)

https://www.stereophile.com/reference/1104red/index.html

No man alive has the energy to stalk you Tuga ;-)
    If you are intent on criticising designs and their designers it's best to be a bit more circumspect and a bit less dogmatic.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018