advertisement

Harbeth M30.2 - Is This Radically Different From M30.1?

According to the literature it looks slightly different (and is probably more expensive):

The next generation of Harbeth's M30.1 model; the M30.2, is now available in a limited edition silver eucalyptus veneer.
The M30.2 anniversary model features;

• the latest WBT-nextgen binding posts makes no difference

• a new-look tweeter with silver hex grill makes no difference

• British-made audio grade poly capacitors probably makes no difference

• and Harbeth's 40th anniversary ultra-pure OFC internal cable makes no difference

• This model also features our 40th anniversary limited edition front and back badges makes no difference

• as well as a metallic black and gold anniversary grille badge. makes no difference

The basic design is the same as the M30.1, in fact, it should never have been designated as a 'Mk2'. That was a marketing decision.

So, it is a M30.1 with the embellishments but extremely popular despite the price differential.

No specifications have been quoted for the 30.2, but when the SHL5 went to SHL5plus, and the 40.1 went to 40.2 with a similar update to that of the 5 to 5plus, the quoted sensitivity for both speakers changed from 85dB to 86dB.

Presumably, if the 30.2 were an updated version of the 30.1, along the same lines as the SHL5plus and the 40.2, then the 30.2 sensitivity would also have gone to 86dB (from the 85dB quoted for the 30.1). Therefore, if the quoted sensitivity for the 30.2 is 85dB, the changes from the 30.1 could be viewed as ‘cosmetic’ as tuga seems to suggest.

Thanks for the information. From the sounds of it, I agree the M30.2 should be called M30.1 40th Anniversary Edition instead of 30.2. Just like the SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary. The changes which include WBT binding posts, tweeter with silver hex grille, British-made audio-grade poly capacitors, "ultra pure" OFC internal cable and fancy elegant metallic badges appear to be consistent between the M30.2 and SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary.

There could be a slight difference in sound quality between the M30.2 and M30.1 as some owners of the SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary found the speaker to sound slightly warmer than the standard SHL5 Plus.

I cannot imagine it will be much different.

To me though it is another example of the Harbeth hypocrisy that made me so frustrated with the brand.

I cannot imagine it will be much different.

To me though it is another example of the Harbeth hypocrisy that made me so frustrated with the brand.

You need to find new ways to sell the same product over and over, sometimes to the same people.
The eight versions of the Wilson W/P are a good case in point...

Personally I feel the current Harbeth models do not need any improvement as each and every model sounds "complete" and unique in their own ways. Any significant deviation from the current house sound would be more of a flavour than anything else. The SHL5 Plus is an overall more accomplished and superior speaker than the older SHL5 that it replaces but there are others who prefer the latter, including my dealer. There was once when I asked the dealer whether there would be an updated Compact 7ES3 soon, his response was there better not be one (he was concerned the new might sound worse than the current model).

Thanks for the information. From the sounds of it, I agree the M30.2 should be called M30.1 40th Anniversary Edition instead of 30.2. Just like the SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary. The changes which include WBT binding posts, tweeter with silver hex grille, British-made audio-grade poly capacitors, "ultra pure" OFC internal cable and fancy elegant metallic badges appear to be consistent between the M30.2 and SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary.

There could be a slight difference in sound quality between the M30.2 and M30.1 as some owners of the SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary found the speaker to sound slightly warmer than the standard SHL5 Plus.
Alan Shaw admits that he made the mistake of calling the M30.1 Anniversary, the M30.2 as it has led to all manner of questions. Fact is, it's an M30.1 with Anniversary tweaks.

Personally I feel the current Harbeth models do not need any improvement as each and every model sounds "complete" and unique in their own ways. Any significant deviation from the current house sound would be more of a flavour than anything else. The SHL5 Plus is an overall more accomplished and superior speaker than the older SHL5 that it replaces but there are others who prefer the latter, including my dealer. There was once when I asked the dealer whether there would be an updated Compact 7ES3 soon, his response was there better not be one (he was concerned the new might sound worse than the current model).
Not a normal reaction. I've never found anyone preferring the older SHL5 to the +.

i just sat next to a chap for several hours who had the old shl5 and we listened to the new one [not anniversary] and he most certainly said the new one was better

Is Mr. Shaw still of the opinion there's no real difference between ordinary working amplifiers ?

Is Mr. Shaw still of the opinion there's no real difference between ordinary working amplifiers ?

Yup. And speaker stands? They're nothing, just put your six thousand dollar speakers on a pair of Ikea plant stands.

Making people's focus on Harbeth loudspeaker choice
Clever marketing
Save on amp and stands, buy more speakers

Found this by coincidense, he seem to be a hard moderator, no personnal experience with Harberh forum but I hate beeing moderated for own opinion

"The amplifier subject is now closed on HUG. Our position that any competent amp will work just fine with Harbeth's, and that really is all readers need to know. These last few posts will be blended into more appropriate existing threads and this thread deleted."

There was once when I asked the dealer whether there would be an updated Compact 7ES3 soon, his response was there better not be one (he was concerned the new might sound worse than the current model).

Interesting, my C7ES3s are a hoot on spiked stands, driven by an ATC integrated. A few years ago I preferred them to the old SHL5s at a dealer dem as being more dynamic. The M40s are not 'thin wall', are the M30s the same? That would make a difference.

Don't get me wrong I think that Harbeth make some superb speakers. I really enjoyed the P3ESR's and M30.1's I had.

I just tired of the hypocrisy and borderline aggressive stance on the Harbeth User Group where there is nothing like free speech. You are constantly reminded that the HUG was created and managed by Harbeth and any comments that went against their (well Alans) philosophy was unwelcome.

advertisement

Back