advertisement

Handing on your (small) fortune....

Or sell it. Old LP12s are fetching silly money now.

It needs some work. The plinth was damaged when I bought it and the motor was done for. I’ve also lost the original crossmember and basic power supply. I think they went on another deck tbh. It does still have its original spot welded sub chassis, bearing, hub and platter, oh and the top plate too. I do have a brand new motor courtesy of sq. I also have its original Ittok arm board though the Ittok went years ago so I bought an LVX for it just to keep it complete. I think I’ll keep my eyes open for a decent original plinth.

I bought a set of fancy drill-bits (thanks to the drill thread over on OT). I’m not even needing to drill anything right now. My financial decadence is making my look about for non-essential backlog items in my DIY list...... #livingthedream

Guys, come on...you’re nearly making me buy stuff if don’t really need, but would like....
Been drooling over some stuff for a few weeks.

The Ether 2 are superb. They take a lot of driving though, you're far better off driving them direct from an amp via a resistor network than any headphone amp imo. Saves the price of a head amp too..

Amusingly mine are less sensitive than my Bastanis OB's.

They do seem to be an oddity. There’s some American forums that love and hate the bloke behind the design and it affects the reviews. It’s silly stuff but I’m prepared to take a punt as I got such a bonus off my being an Avondale fanboy. That worked out so well, this chap might be good too?
They will just have to put up with the RME ADI fs for the mo... I’m not made of money!

No one has been so gross/impolite to mention spending a grand on headphones you haven’t heard is a little flaky?

No one has been so gross/impolite to mention spending a grand on headphones you haven’t heard is a little flaky?

I once spent two and a half grand on a pair of amps I’d never heard so who am I to criticise? I know someone who bought his entire system without auditioning any of it :eek:

I hadn't heard the Proac D2's when I bought them for in excess of £2K.
It was on the recommendations with Naim amps on this forum, would you believe.
I thought they must be better than the Studio range which I had heard so they must be a bit special.
Which they are.

Aye but
sometimes the reward outweighs the risk. I still have those amps and eight years later I love ‘em!

I’ve mostly come on the good side. When I got back into hifi recently, the Mojo just stuck out as yer can get hifi with not taking up half yer living room... bonus or what:)

Just spent £600 on 4 new tweeters, for my Isobariks, having chosen to go with the Hiqufon option rather than the original Scanspeak. Obviously at this time auditioning was not an option. The advice on Pinkfish was helpful, not regreting the decision.

I bought the Ethers new without hearing them, though they were recommended by someone whose ears I trust.

They do seem to be an oddity. There’s some American forums that love and hate the bloke behind the design and it affects the reviews. It’s silly stuff but I’m prepared to take a punt as I got such a bonus off my being an Avondale fanboy. That worked out so well, this chap might be good too?
They will just have to put up with the RME ADI fs for the mo... I’m not made of money!
For the cost of four resistors you can drive them directly from your amp.

Just spent £600 on 4 new tweeters, for my Isobariks, having chosen to go with the Hiqufon option rather than the original Scanspeak. Obviously at this time auditioning was not an option. The advice on Pinkfish was helpful, not regreting the decision.
Glad to hear you're happy with the results :)

I hung over the pay button thrice before committing. It’s just a grand after all (gulp)I can’t understand why the first two responders got so vexed. Life’s too short to stuff a mushroom or be bothered by the small-minded arseholes amongst us.:)
There are a bunch of mushroom stuffers here, take my word for it. Anyway, enjoy the headphones. I've just splashed out on a second pair of Harbeth HLP3 ESRs to go with the first pair and the M30s, and the Rogers LS3/5As. I'm about to have my QUAD 303/33/FM3 rebuilt, because I can, and I'm fast running out of Protestant rectitude. Not long ago I bought a CD player for just under GBP 2.5 k unheard and unseen. It's brilliant.

advertisement

Back