advertisement

Handing on your (small) fortune....

MUTTY1

Waste of bandwidth
The rellies have been around with the new relaxations. And they are a mixed bunch to say the least. Some are thick( we don’t share the same genes ) others are bright and artistic. One is mercenary and married a bloke that is rich but has diabetes that caused him to lose a couple of toes this year... more to follow alas.

The thick one suggested they needed a new kitchen that is perfectly functioning the last time we were around there a year ago. This flagrant consumerism shouldn’t be their territory alone. So I’ve just splashed £1100 on a pair of headphones that aren’t even new!

I did think about the Hd800s but you all know about that. So I went for the Ether2 that has mixes reviews to say the least. It’s a( very expensive) punt but it’s from a bloke like Les at Avondale that just goes his own way. I’m a fan of the one man bands. Hoping it as successful again...

I

Last edited:
No need to feel guilty.
I just spent two grand on some Proacs and I don't feel guilty as the other arf seems to outspend me on all sorts of junk.
Enjoy your stuff.

Anyways I'm now at the stage where I'm selling as much stuff as I'm buying and thus the bank account is not strained.
Smugville or what?

I hung over the pay button thrice before committing. It’s just a grand after all (gulp)I can’t understand why the first two responders got so vexed. Life’s too short to stuff a mushroom or be bothered by the small-minded arseholes amongst us.:)

So I went for the Ether2

Never heard of them. I also was contemplating HD800s (or S) but went for a nice used pair of Focal Elears to supplement or replace my HD650s. They supplemented them! So good were/are the Elears I was was sorely tempted by used Utopias at just below 2 grand. I wonder just HOW much better they are but I'm happy.

I just spent two grand on some Proacs

Ah, my favourite m/coil speakers; had 3 Response models and only shifted my Fours because I couldn't shift their 133kg (each) weight (older and weaker). Easy load, exc. imaging, great with both valved and s/s amplification (esp. Naim in my case).

I hung over the pay button thrice before committing. It’s just a grand after all (gulp)I can’t understand why the first two responders got so vexed. Life’s too short to stuff a mushroom or be bothered by the small-minded arseholes amongst us.:)

I bought a 3D printer the other week, after a few beers, thinking I could use an old laptop to run a freebie version of some CAD software. It exceeded the minimum specs, just about.

Naturally the lappy was completely shite at this so I’ve “had” to buy a i5 NUC with 16gb ram, 2tb hdd & 500gb ssd. Then I thought I could use an old 40” 1080 Sony TV as the monitor...

So far I’m into it by about a grand.

All I wanted to do was print a bloody Death Star tea light holder...

I can’t believe such a sensible chap as myself that can hardly bring himself to pay to park his car has finally spent over a grand on headphones. And I don’t like headphones FFS. But it just a looksee at the high-end without bankruptcy.? I’m using some HD600 currently and they are so pleasurable but not got that air I expect as compensation for the lack of body or grunt a loudspeaker does...

The rellies have been around with the new relaxations. And they are a mixed bunch to say the least. Some are thick( we don’t share the same genes ) others are bright and artistic. One is mercenary and married a bloke that is rich but has diabetes that caused him to lose a couple of toes this year... more to follow alas.

The thick one suggested they needed a new kitchen that is perfectly functioning the last time we were around there a year ago. This flagrant consumerism shouldn’t be their territory alone. So I’ve just splashed £1100 on a pair of headphones that aren’t even new!

I did think about the Hd800s but you all know about that. So I went for the Ether2 that has mixes reviews to say the least. It’s a( very expensive) punt but it’s from a bloke like Les at Avondale that just goes his own way. I’m a fan of the one man bands. Hoping it as successful again...

I

The Ether 2 are superb. They take a lot of driving though, you're far better off driving them direct from an amp via a resistor network than any headphone amp imo. Saves the price of a head amp too..

Amusingly mine are less sensitive than my Bastanis OB's.

Yep and that's totally fair enough. I figure if you work hard, you've earned it. I just bought an lp12 today after saving for a bit.

Main thing is to enjoy it and don't feel guilty!
Absolutely! I did hover over buying one for a few months, I do tend to feel a bit of guilt for spending on myself, more so as I’ve gotten older, but I’d saved up enough money to easily afford it, I’m always on the go, and quite often doing things for other people for no financial gain (sometimes actually at my expense), so it was time to look after myself.

No regrets here, I own a lovely thing, and one day, my daughter will own it.

Hope you’re enjoying your LP12... did you buy the one off lencotweaker? That one is a lovely looking deck!

Not Lencotweaker's one (what a deal that was!), but one from Peter Swain using a new main deck with second hand arm, PSU etc. Sounds every bit as good as I hoped it would!

Not Lencotweaker's one (what a deal that was!), but one from Peter Swain using a new main deck with second hand arm, PSU etc. Sounds every bit as good as I hoped it would!
Wonderful... Lencotweaker's deck really did have me hovering, it's a beauty, but I really don't need two LP12s... I was tempted though!

This flagrant consumerism shouldn’t be their territory alone. So I’ve just splashed £1100 on a pair of headphones that aren’t even new!

Nothing. I bought an entire house that's over one hundred and fifty years old so I wouldn't have to use damn headphones at all!

I have an early LP12 buried with all the other junk in my office :) Reading this thread makes me think I should dig it out and get it going again.

advertisement

Back