Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Hancock...You've been a Naughty Boy!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by andyoz, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

Of course he's devious and untruthful......He's a politician.

puddlesplasher likes this.
  2. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

The Electoral Reform Society would like to see the Single Transferable Vote, a fairer, more proportional voting system that makes seats match votes – and means no one’s voice is ignored.

A similar property council tax reform group, Fairer Share wants a single flat rate tax charged annually at 0.48% of a property’s value. This sort of strategy would go a long way towards levelling up across the Country. Such a scheme phased in over a number of years or decades would hopefully get a grip of property prices rising and rising, especially in the South East. Taxing high property values more might curtail the demand drive and make other areas more appealing for jobs and investment. This would be proper levelling up.

3. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

2m+ surely, unless you are happy to knock at the door but not enter.

4. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yes, indeed, which is why I have to break the social distance rules every now and again…

5. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

You little tinker

ks.234 likes this.
  6. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yes, many thanks for that.

I do though have reservations about focussing on and promoting any single version of PR. The referendum we had on PR failed mostly because the Lib Dem’s were so chuffing useless (sorry Tony) but also, and significantly I feel, because it was specific about AV and opponent were able to exploit inherent complexities and the far simpler option of just staying as we are.

I’m open to persuasion but I feel the discussion of which flavour of PR is best should come after a discussion on the merits of PR itself.

7. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

I could have sex in my bubble, but who wants sex in a bubble?

8. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

I believe there's a well known member who's into that kind of thing. Me, happy with my copy of Practical Photography and closed office door.

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Pending

I’d agree. We need to understand why we want PR. Ironically, we could use the Vote Leave playbook here - argue for brave new world vs rubbish status quo.

ks.234 likes this.
  10. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Precisely. If only we had a political party with a commitment to PR….

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  11. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Disgusting…

Ibbots likes this.
  12. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

sex pond is better - which reminds me i must spruce up the pampas grass out the front and skim the pond

Rob998 and ks.234 like this.
  13. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Hope the pond is more than 2m wide

14. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

why?

from the gov.uk website:

Meeting family and friends outdoors
    You should continue to minimise the number of people you meet within a short period of time to limit the risk of spreading coronavirus (COVID-19). Most restrictions on meeting people outdoors have been lifted, but gatherings must not exceed 30 people unless covered by a legal exemption, such as:

• for the purposes of work or volunteering
    • to provide care or assistance for disabled or vulnerable people
    If you are meeting friends and family, you can make a personal choice on whether to keep your distance from them, but you should still be cautious.

pond fits 6 easily......

15. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

…These are the days of miracle and wonder
    This is the long distance call
    The way the camera follows us in slo-mo
    The way we look to us all, oh yeah…

vince rocker likes this.
  16. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

17. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

The problem with this is older people who bought ordinary family houses in once ordinary but now gentrified areas of London at ordinary prices a few decades ago that are now worth silly money. If these people can't afford 5-10k a year for council tax they will effectively be socially cleansed.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  18. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

There will always be winners and loser in such a system. The proposal is about making things fairer and levelling up somewhat. London and the South East is silly money nowadays for property. So much so, that housing is now being sold on a shared ownership basis. There seems to be an endless desire to drive housing prices up, yet some of the very same people who enjoy those gains cry unaffordability when their children grow-up and cannot afford to get on the ladder. Commercial and Residential Property Tax needs fundamental reforms and levelling up. I'm interested in others views on this and the Fairer Share proposal. Perhaps this should be a new thread?

19. Cav

Cav pfm Member

New housing is being offered for sale with shared ownership as an option everywhere.

20. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood