advertisement

Hamish Kilgour RIP

tobermory

pfm Member
Sad to see Hamish Kilgour of The Clean has died. One of my favourite bands ever. Play Tally-Ho at full volume!

Terrible news. He'd been missing for a few days. I've been blasting The Clean since I got home from work.

As a member of The Clean, he was one of the greats of AO/NZ rock music. He drumming influenced my own. When he came up & complimented me after a gig (likely the only one he saw me play at), I told I couldn't have done it without him.

"A mighty totara has fallen."

He was a great guy, with an unusual drum technique. Most drummers cross their hands when playing a snare / hi-hat pattern - Hamish was in the minority who play "open handed". I am sure some of his unique sound came from that.

The Clean were a band whose influence was much greater than the rewards they got at the time - but if they had been headlining stadium tours I would have never heard them at the Emprire!

I went there a lot in the early 1980s, up until I came to the UK in 1984, and saw most of the Dunedin bands there.

Damn. I read that he was missing a few days ago but missed this terrible news on Tuesday.

First saw them in 1982 at Canterbury University. The set included an epic, seemingly endless, "Point that Thing".

Boodle Boodle Boodle playing now.

A quick bit of google time wasting shows me that open handed style is used by Billy Cobham, in a long list of others. I have seen BC live, and can't remember if I noticed one way or the other. So you can go from Peter Gutteridge to Miles Davis in three steps!

advertisement

Back