advertisement

Haggling Barstewards

'Al' is worse than Mate GnT :mad::mad:

Only outranked possibly on the annoyance scale by 'Al' pronounced as 'Aaaeeeoooww'' by a wannabe-Cockney Geezer former work colleague of mine :)

I had someone recently ask if i'd take £20 less than the asking price for my Onix, I replied "how about we meet in the middle" (£10 less) and he never got back to me, so I sold it on ebay for more :)

Another one of my pet hates is when someone doesn't bother to reply if you change your mind about buying something (I've only ever done it once or twice). If someone messages me regarding something I have for sale to say they've had a change of heart, I always give a polite reply.

Girlfriend sells the odd thing on Facebook and what really annoys her is when someone says they'll buy the item, and then later on someone else sends a private message saying they can come now to pick up the item - Bloody rude IMO.

(Mate's the worst though :) )
In which case don't ever go to Lincolnshire. The normal greeting is "Now then mate". Agreement is "Yis mate" and so it goes on. In certain parts of the county (the Wolds) it becomes "Mee-ut". Agreement in these areas is "Ayy, mee-ut" and dissent is an emphatic "Dewww buuy!"

Occasionally in Boston I was given to slip into the vernacular and comment "Deww buuy!" when one of the locals was having trouble understanding a particular instruction. It didn't work so well on the Lithuanians and Poles who made up a lot of the factory workforce, funnily enough.

In which case don't ever go to Lincolnshire. The normal greeting is "Now then mate". Agreement is "Yis mate" and so it goes on. In certain parts of the county (the Wolds) it becomes "Mee-ut". Agreement in these areas is "Ayy, mee-ut" and dissent is an emphatic "Dewww buuy!"

Occasionally in Boston I was given to slip into the vernacular and comment "Deww buuy!" when one of the locals was having trouble understanding a particular instruction. It didn't work so well on the Lithuanians and Poles who made up a lot of the factory workforce, funnily enough.

Nearly as bad as you lot still calling each other 'Love' up there Steve .. :)

Duck - in Derbyshire.
I never understood this one but this summer I learned that it's a corruption of "Duke" or " My Duke ". Hence " Nah then miduck, what can I get yer? "

I'm quite a fan of "Squire" , said with my tongue in my cheek as a nod to an old mate who used to greet me with a Python style "Evenin' Squire !" .

The other side of all this, and I'm talking about people here on PFM is that I've had many people offering to help me out by giving me bits of gear free, and right now I have a fairly valuable item in my possession that I've not yet paid for as I don't have bank details..
It reinforces one's faith no end.

I had a wonderful situation when I was selling a Land Rover a few years ago. It had failed it’s MOT on over a dozen counts including a rotting chassis. It had been on the drive for about 6 months before I got round to putting it up for sale.

Advertised it warts and all and went into loads of detail - copied the MOT Cert, said it had mould, damp, wouldn’t start etc. Said in reality it is a spares or repairs job as some of the bodywork could have been salvaged.

Bloke contacts me. Really keen. “Don’t sell it. I really want it.” Messaged me a couple of times to say this making sure it was still. Was patient with the guy. Waited around for him to turn up. He was late.

He came down to look at the car. Took one look and said: “It’s a bit of a mess isn’t it?”. Err, yes. I referred him back to the advert detailing all the issues. He thought I had been exaggerating the problems with the car. I said why would I go to town trying to point out every fault in the car only for it to be in far better condition. He clearly didn’t work in sales.

Suffice to say he didn’t take the car and when off in a huff.

It sold a couple of days later to a local mechanic.

advertisement

Back