advertisement

Hacked iphone. Any advice on what to do?

Yup, exactly why I refuse to use whatsapp. Not really a hole,whatsapp examines all calls locally to check (and I'm being kind here) to see if it could offer itself as a useful solution.

I’ve been asked many times by people to join Whatsapp groups etc and I always refuse. It looks like a horrendous app from a privacy standpoint and as far as I can tell isn’t even remotely GDPR compliant. I’d not trust it in the slightest.

As others have said iPhones/iOS are in most situations remarkably secure, though no OS can survive a user with admin rights explicitly giving an app access to personal data, which as far as I can tell is a requirement for installing Whatsapp. iOS should have sandboxed it, but it will have harvested your contacts and photos if you gave it permission to do so! By installing it you probably did just that.

I think you are all over reacting to what whats app does, I am sure given time facebook will truly screw it over.

In the latest IOS you literally cannot do anything without it asking you for permission, lol

Over-reacting? I tracked it ! I'm not saying the intention was harmful, by the way, only that it could offer a useful doorway to the unscrupulous.

I'm with Tony.

I’ve been asked many times by people to join Whatsapp groups etc and I always refuse. It looks like a horrendous app from a privacy standpoint and as far as I can tell isn’t even remotely GDPR compliant. I’d not trust it in the slightest.

As others have said iPhones/iOS are in most situations remarkably secure, though no OS can survive a user with admin rights explicitly giving an app access to personal data, which as far as I can tell is a requirement for installing Whatsapp. iOS should have sandboxed it, but it will have harvested your contacts and photos if you gave it permission to do so! By installing it you probably did just that.

I communicated via message and verbally over WhatsApp regarding a mate having a hair transplant - and only WhatsApp as I can recall it vividly. After which I begin to see hair transplant ads on YouTube, IG etc.... Coincidence? I think not.

isn’t even remotely GDPR compliant

it is. The issue is you hand over all sorts of data when you sign up.

My wife uses it to comm with her sister ad that is yhe only way sis will comm.

We use it as a key point of contact for our students.

There is nothing wrong with it, but you need to understand what you are signing up to. It is little different to Fb or LinkedIn

I beg to differ, there is a lot wrong with it, and I seriously doubt more than .001% are aware of how it functions. The fact FaceTime may be worse doesn’t come into it.

Out of curiosity, when you see the compulsory cookies notice on every website now, do you check to see what cookies it is placing on your machine, if any ?

Out of curiosity, when you see the compulsory cookies notice on every website now, do you check to see what cookies it is placing on your machine, if any ?

depends, but I have been known to.

and I seriously doubt more than .001% are aware of how it functions.

who cares how it functions? it is the data it collects and what it does with it that is more important.

Did you make up the 0.001% ? got any data to support that?

When I first load whatsapp it asks for access to contacts which I deny. If it then goes ahead and does it anyway well thats bad. Beyond that I couldnt give a flying, if it wants to harvest data on when my sons next football match is.

Genuinely I don't care, same with google. I get a free service, they get to see that I was in London on that day in 2018, who gives a shit.

When I first load whatsapp it asks for access to contacts which I deny. If it then goes ahead and does it anyway well thats bad. Beyond that I couldnt give a flying, if it wants to harvest data on when my sons next football match is.

Genuinely I don't care, same with google. I get a free service, they get to see that I was in London on that day in 2018, who gives a shit.

I agree, I also deny access to contacts. But I don't really care what it harvests beyond security related matters.

Cookies don't do anything, they just pass hashed data. It's giving apps read and write access to your personal data that incurs the risk. Cookies are harmless.

It’s not the cookies that is the issue at all, it is the requirement to harvest email addresses which it then stores on a remote server (likely offshore). The last time I looked it actually required access to your contacts to function correctly, which if you run a business clearly places you in breach of GDPR. If you don’t run a business it just puts you in breach of ‘not being an arse’ as you’ve allowed the harvesting of all your friends emails.

If you google ‘Whatsapp GDPR’ you will find loads of recent hits, so I don’t think that much has changed since I investigated and rejected it a couple of years back. Facebook works differently as I was certainly able to join and use that without allowing it anywhere near my Address Book. Anyone who runs a business and holds any customer data (as obviously I do running the record shop here) needs to be exceptionally careful with this sort of thing as it is you that will get fined even if an app misled you.

It does not require access to your contacts to work, it dosn't even require an email address.

I totally understand people's twitches on this, but heres the deal. If you own a smart phone, and this stuff concerns you, you are f**ked. and thats that.

Here is a legal GDPR-compliance view of Whatsapp (link). If you run any business that holds customer data you really do need to understand this sort of thing. Annoying, but it is just the way things are now.

Literally the first paragraph of that link is the point. If you give what’s app access to your contacts then you are a fool. Just don’t and then you have access to an end to end encrypted app for chatting to your mates. If you want to use it for delicate work stuff, then again, you are stupid.

If however you have said no and it does it anyway well that’s scummy behaviour. I do not believe it does that.

the long and short is, don’t allow it access to your contacts it makes it very clear when you install.

All this great free stuff we get to enjoy including the awesome pink fish comes with a cost somewhere. It is what it is.

I communicated via message and verbally over WhatsApp regarding a mate having a hair transplant - and only WhatsApp as I can recall it vividly. After which I begin to see hair transplant ads on YouTube, IG etc.... Coincidence? I think not.

might it not have been the numerous microphones that iPhone has simply listening in, I’ve had similar experiences without using WhatsApp?

advertisement

Back