advertisement

H M Customs & Excise - A problem?

Salamander

pfm Member
I recently ordered a pair of speakers from China, unfortunately they have not cleared Customs, does anyone have any experience of this problem: The seller is going to forward a telephone number for the shipping company:
Also, at the end of the day, who is responsible, me the buyer, or the seller?

Could be for any number of reasons; VAT and tariff to pay; almost always the importers problem.

In any event, it's your problem now. Give the shipping company a bell and see where the problem is; could be incorrect documentation, incorrect codes, et al.

Normally, you will get a demand for money from the carrier. The problem that may arise is where there are different carriers to and within the UK, as neither will want to sort things.

You will have a bill for VAT at standard rate, plus import duty of 1-2%, plus a handling fee that is usually around £10. That said, if they are new, you could well have major problems as the UK will not accept new items that have not had VAT and duty paid in the country of origin (in which case they sail through customs), but you might be lucky if they are new and that has happened.

That said, if they are new, you will have major problems as the UK will not accept new items that have not had VAT and duty paid in the country of origin, but you might be lucky.

I thought that was up to £135, after that it's the importers duty to pay the VAT.

I thought that was up to £135, after that it's the importers duty to pay the VAT.

Nope. Not as I understand it. That would be the wrong way around anyway, surely? Above a certain figure, the costs have to be charged by the exporter?
Somebody will be along who knows for sure, but people here running businesses have said in the recent past pretty much what I have said.
The only imports I have made have been used, so I cannot speak from personal experience - I automatically had to pay the charges if caught by customs.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'm still waiting on the telephone number, I was expecting to pay VAT and Duty, just assumed I would pay at door to the delivery driver, I did when I purchased a new amplifier :)

I thought that now for larger items bought from companies or eBay the seller pays all the tariffs so you should have been billed by the seller when you purchased. This is how it worked for a DAC I bought.

All sorts of 'issues' are around at import points right now. As a company we had a 'sample' being delivered from a Swiss chemical co. Just a routine, ordinary thing - that would have been delivered in under 2 days in normal times. It took more than 2 weeks to 'clear' at Birmingham airport - no explanation given, just 'delays'

Yes, I got stuffed with tariffs when I recently sold a SUT to someone in Hong Kong and was a bit surprised. However I recall eBay saying that seller policy has changed and now it makes it tricky or expensive to sell to other countries. This has to be factored into the selling price I suppose.

I thought that now for larger items bought from companies or eBay the seller pays all the tariffs so you should have been billed by the seller when you purchased. This is how it worked for a DAC I bought.

I have just checked on the price I paid and the price advertised for the goods and it would appear I have already paid the VAT

I have just checked on the price I paid and the price advertised for the goods and it would appear I have already paid the VAT

Just hope that the seller is being accurate in what they imply - that they are UK-regustered for VAT and that they have actually charged UK VAT etc..
You should not have paid any tax of the exporting country - if China levies VAT, you should not have paid Chinese VAT, or any equivalent.

Ali Express are the sellers, I have paid VAT on other purchases before and had no problems, but they were smaller parcels, I honestly cannot remember how the total amount was made up, but I have paid at least 20% more than the advertised cost, I guess some of that would have been bank charges converting £'s to $'s

@flutteringwow It is the only info I have at present :(

Ok, so that may not have happened.

You need to contact the courier directly and they will advise properly.

For example, if its DHL then they will tell you exactly what the hold up is - it could just be it is awaiting inspection. Normally the big players like DHL, UPS , FEDEX will update their tracking to show or contact the importer.

Who is the handler?

Ali Express are the sellers, I have paid VAT on other purchases before and had no problems, but they were smaller parcels, I honestly cannot remember how the total amount was made up, but I have paid at least 20% more than the advertised cost, I guess some of that would have been bank charges converting £'s to $'s

Aliexpress isnt a seller, its a platform for sellers. Slightly different.

@fluttergwow I am waiting to find out who the shipping company are, I have been given a number to call, unfortunately the phone just cuts off when the number is dialed
I thought I paid Ali Express and they forward the monies to the seller :)

advertisement

Back