advertisement

H|H studio amps

johnnym

pfm Member
As most people do from time to time, I've been snooping around ebay to see if anything interesting turns up and I've noticed a few H|H studio amps, most of which seem to be ex-BBC mono-blocks. Nobody seems to be snapping these up so they can be had for next to nothing. They don't seem to have much oomph (some are only 25 watts), but other than that I don't know too much about them. Does anyone have any experience of these?

A mate has a HH S500, it's a beast. Under £100, modular construction, built like a tank. It has bags of power, authority and a good foot tapping drive. I'm going to get it off him one of these days.

I hear it's the Crown circuit, for me it's quite Krell like in its multiple tranny approach. Fan cooled, sadly, you could DIY a better heatsink.

If they're anything like big Crowns I'd suspect them to be incredibly clean and bright, due I suspect to incredible bass control, but rather "dry" with it - i.e. no "golden syrup" or "charm" as many domestic amps have and maybe not the last word in reproduction of subtle reverb, unless it's because the dynamic range is so good they're not compressing the signal as many of us are used to. Because the headroom is so high too on many of these amps, you won't get the "clipping hardness" that so many "audiophiles" find exciting.

I've heard HH amps driving B&W 801's and there's certainly loads of headroom.........

I've listened to some of the big professional series HH amps quite extensively, into B&W 801s. Very acceptable, bags of power, clean, nice midrange, good bass, maybe not the very last ounce of treble delicacy, but better than many so-called hi-fi amps.

Especially good in balanced mode, used as mono-blocks.

Very robust, both physically and electrically.

Never heard the smaller studio models, which is no help to the OP.

Even the big, 400+ watt amps look to be on the cheap side, but they'ed probably do damage to my Sara's!

advertisement

Back