advertisement

Gyro and Orbe

samz

pfm Member
Hello, I just had a demo of a Gyrodec SE which was fitted with the Techno Arm and Dynavecor DV20X Cartridge.

I was impressed with what it had to offer and found it to be detailed with nice tempo and rhythm, not bright and maintaining an analogue sound.

What extra with the Orbe bring with same Arm and Cartridge, would the characteristics of the sound be different, where would be the improvements ?

Basically more of the same, even though there are design difference as well as the more substantial platter on the Orbe.

When my friend replaced his Gyro with an Orbe a decade ago, the Orbe was a heavyweight in comparison.

Is the performance difference between the Gyro and the Orbe huge and therefore justified in the additional cost.

I would say that the Gyro is a great TT, visually as well as sonically. It can certainly hold its own in its price range, & you would have to spend a fair bit more to better it.
The Orbe is more pricey, but it competes not just within its own price range, but is easily capable of seeing off other TT's costing an awful lot more.
If you are committed about your vinyl replay & see it as a long term way of enjoying music & you can afford it, I'd say go for the Orbe. It is better, in its bass replay, stereo imaging & detail retrieval ability.
Whether the cost is justified, only you can decide that. It's your money after all.
It has to be said that for the cost of the Orbe, before you finally decide on it, you should also get to hear what a NAS or an Avid does for similar money. Spending that much money on a TT is a long term proposition & you wouldn't want to have to think about changing it for something different a year or two later.
Get your decision right now & you'll be happy for many years to come.
Matt.

more substantial platter on the Orbe

The Gyro platter is 3,5kg while the Orbe platter is 4kg. Not a massive difference IMO.

As I understand it, the main differences come in the form of the Orbe's superior PSU, clamping system, chassis damping (which is not necessarily for the better) and extra layer of isolation in the chassic (2 layers of acrylic in the Orbe instead of 1 in the Gyro).

EDIT: I think you can upgrade the Gyro with the PSU and clamping system from the Orbe. You can also add the damping material to the chassis if you want. I.e. the second level of chassis isolation would be the main difference left along with the better looks (IMO) of the Gyro.

Br,
Teme

advertisement

Back