advertisement

Guys, can you shed any light on these please.

Thanks Winchman and thanks Rolf............surprisingly there are a few pages about the purple fried egg on the web.

Need to get the multimeter working tomorrow and see whats what............I'm out of my depth with this but with a few tips hopefully I'll sort it.

It would be nice if the tweeter was ok and the fault was somewhere else but everything looks fine.............even the tweeter.

Again thank you.

Once you get your multimeter going, you'll want to use the Ohm setting to test for an open circuit within the voice coil.

Just switch the meter to Ohm readings and then hold the two probes onto the two tweeter terminals. Some meters display a '1' for open circuit and a '0' for closed. My Fluke shows 'O.L' for open and the impedance value when closed.

Craig

May have touched on today. Got multimeter sorted and put it across the tweeter, not a dicky bird. I then put it across main woofer and got 4.8 ohms.

I was getting 4.8 at the crossover too.........I'm no electronics whizkid but guess that means the tweeter is stuffed?

Anyhow luck seemed to be with me for once, checked on ebay (thanks for tipping me off about its "purple tweeter" name) and a smashing bloke had one on sale which he sold me. He had it on a no reserve auction and switched it to a "buy it now" for me with no hassles or moans, top guy.

So we'll have a go at fitting it when it gets here and hope it works...........as I say these speakers sounded brilliant so I'm loathe to bin them.

Thanks again for all your help.

May have touched on today. Got multimeter sorted and put it across the tweeter, not a dicky bird. I then put it across main woofer and got 4.8 ohms.

I was getting 4.8 at the crossover too.........I'm no electronics whizkid but guess that means the tweeter is stuffed?

Sounds like the voice coil has been burned, yes.

Don't know Julf but I'd appreciate any further help with this before I waste time flogging a dead horse.

How do I check this coil please? I can post pics.

Thank you

Here's what I assume is the voice coils/xover. How would I go about checking this before I bolt everything back together do you reckon?

Thank you

P1010384_zps6b514d21.jpg

How do I check this coil please?

You can check the voice coil of the speaker element with the resistance (ohm) measurement. It should be something between 3 and 10 ohm. 0 ohms means a short, no contact at all (infinite number of ohms, in practice anything beyond a few thousands of ohms) means open circuit - voice coil wire or connections to voice coil cut (typically by melting).

The inductors/coils on the crossover can be checked in the same way - they should have a very low resistance, but not *quite* 0.

Thanks Julf. If I'm checking them correctly then I think they should be ok..........just hope the new tweeter works!!

Cheers

and did it work?
Warning! thread resurrection, but I was remembering my own unit 4 kit build in 1970...ran them with a rogers amp, lovely they were.

Apologies lads, only just seen this, jeez 6 years ago, where did that go?

I must have been too gutted to report back I reckon:D I tracked down a lovely purple fried egg from a seller on Ebay, looked as nice a purple fried egg as money could buy. Problem was when it arrived it made as much noise as the other miserable purple fried egg I already had.

My volt meter told me this 15 seconds after I unwrapped the hateful thing.

Don't know whether I scrapped them or gave them away or sold them for peanuts as spares, just can't remember now.
I thought I'd erased the phrase purple fried egg from my mind but this has now sent me in to relapse:D

advertisement

Back