advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the Mk I Wal, a bass I’ve always fancied but they are just so expensive. It looks very ‘Shergold’ in basic design:

4464081541_bfa10ca2f4_o.jpg

Not a great pic for comparative purposes as the dark burst and poor lighting makes it look a bit narrower, but it is actually very ‘Wal’ in shape, or more accurately the reverse as the Shergold is a far older design.

They can vary with wood type as well but they will never be as light as your Strandberg

I love the Wals, always have. I was convinced I was going to order a Wal but it was one of those disappointments like when you have something in your hands you have always wanted and then, “oh... well, damn... you’ve something you didn’t mention in your dating profile and we need a change of tack here.”

Anyway, pedalboard day today. Getting advice (in order to get it right first or second time without pissing away too much money on a dead end as I did with the VST pedal-computer thing), and then just get the damn pedals... and then be done with it.

The punk band is being filmed by the BBC next week for a documentary on the new wave of all-women (trans inclusive) protest and punk bands cropping up in this age of stupid, (it is just like 1977 all over again). That’s a hella-auspicious start not everyone gets at this stage and I hope it opens opportunities for me or us and I want to nail my own particular (aggressive) sound if I am stepping out like this.

03A5AB0E-AD00-4D60-B503-69F50EC617D9.jpeg.2541947ac91d6d557fc01b511577f313.jpeg
08DBABE5-1C94-4EAD-A8B4-62C1B8C93FC5.jpeg.545fb354d18c9cc7930fcc20f7dab846.jpeg

The punk band is being filmed by the BBC next week for a documentary on the new wave of all-women (trans inclusive) protest and punk bands cropping up in this age of stupid, (it is just like 1977 all over again). That’s a hella-auspicious start not everyone gets at this stage and I hope it opens opportunities for me or us and I want to nail my own particular (aggressive) sound if I am stepping out like this.

I want to stick something on the hi-fi and play it loudly in spiritual support, for luck etc. So far I have come up with Bostin Steve Austin (Fuzzbox), Straight Outta Vagina (Pussy Riot) or something featuring Palmolive. I'm not sure I am supporting or patronising in the worst way - but good luck anyway!

Bikini Kill will do at a pinch, if you have any?

I’m trying to get the band up to speed on a deliciously infectiously poppy: “No cops at pride” as we are playing it in the month of pride. I have about 4 of my own pop punk things ready.

Our lovely guitar thread has been overrun with bass. Mark my words there will be drummers turning up next... :)

[Looks at thread title]
“I see no mention of pedals up there, boy.”
[kicks a toe at matthew’s pedal posts]

Last edited:
One of my favourites. I never tire of hearing it.

The one about the guy on Safari, who when travelling through the jungle hears some incredible drumming coming from a distance. The following conversation ensues with his local guide:
Guy: Wow! That's amazing -- let's see if we find it!
Guide: No! We must go now -- when drums stop, big trouble!
Guy: But the drumming sounds amazing, I really want to check it out
Guide: No -- we must go, when drums stop, big trouble!
Guy: But this is the kind of thing I came here to experience! I really want to hear it!
Guide: No! We must go before drums stop!
Guy: But why? What happens when the drums stop?
Guide: Bass solo starts.

Stephen

I jest of course. Some of my best friends are bass players.

BTW Matt's Pedal Show t-shirts are now available in the PFM merch store.

One of my favourites. I never tire of hearing it.

The one about the guy on Safari, who when travelling through the jungle hears some incredible drumming coming from a distance. The following conversation ensues with his local guide:
Guy: Wow! That's amazing -- let's see if we find it!
Guide: No! We must go now -- when drums stop, big trouble!
Guy: But the drumming sounds amazing, I really want to check it out
Guide: No -- we must go, when drums stop, big trouble!
Guy: But this is the kind of thing I came here to experience! I really want to hear it!
Guide: No! We must go before drums stop!
Guy: But why? What happens when the drums stop?
Guide: Bass solo starts.

Stephen

I first heard that told by Mark King!

Are there any Double Bass players on here. My son is playing in an orchestra that has its own DB but when he moves to Uni he wants to play there but does not have his own currently. I kind of want an electric DB similar to Claire's but he needs something more suited to practice for real playing. Any recommendations on semi acoustic DB or something a little smaller that the full size monsters.

George J (Leak Troughline, mono ESL etc) is an ex-orchestral double bassist, but I doubt he reads this thread given it is mainly electric instruments. Lordsummit is another orchestral player (violin, viola) and music teacher so will likely have much to add too, so it may well be worth starting a fresh thread.

Yet more adventures in trying to make my partscaster Strat behave like a real guitar - everything has been great since I got it back from the shop, except for one thing - the vibrato arm was unreasonably stiff. I thought I remembered the Callaham tailpiece feeling nice and "free" before I took it in, I couldn't figure out why the replacement seemed so contrary. I thought tension was strictly a factor of where the floating trem floats. String tension vs spring tension and all that... So I finally decided to look into it, and couldn't see any reason for this one to not behave normally. Finally I got the bright idea to check the pivot screws, so I backed each one off about a quarter turn, and BINGO! The shop had over-tightened the screws. With the floating bridge now unrestricted, I had to re-adjust the claw to get the float back to the right place. Now maybe I can finally declare this guitar to be ready for prime time.

^ Ah some refreshing 6 string content .. :)

I spent about 30minutes removing and dismantling a Kahler bridge off one of the Arias I had earlier Yank - and then at least 3 days trying to get the damn thing back working together with everything in tune. Harder than you think - but interesting things once you really start to figure out how they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back