advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you do the repaint yourself ?

No, I got it done, must be 18 years ago now, by the guy who does/did the London-made Burns reissues thinking that would get me as close to a Shergold original finish as possible. I forget his name, but he has a long history with Burns, Shergold etc.

I paid almost nothing for the guitar so didn’t mind spending out on getting it sorted properly. Thankfully the neck and plates etc are all in very good condition, though the frets are a bit low/flat and look to have been stoned at least once. It looks good and plays well, though I would like more fret height.

As I remember it I bought a shed load of ex-studio kit with a friend to resell as it was going for a very low price as a job lot (Tascam open reel, Soundcraft desk, DAT machines, mics etc) and I then swapped a BBE Aural Exciter from that pile for a heavy metal Strat (Japanese I think), and then swapped that for the Shergold!

I never got to test the elf, it sat in the shop for a week while ups didn’t pick up, so in the end I cancelled the order and am now considering a deal on a Series 6 GP12-AH200 as my main driver and moving the GP7-130 Series 6 to gonzo punk guitar duties.

Something in me still feels a bit off about Class D in high power/heat dissipation environments, if it goes it’s gone totally. No swapping MOSFET and possibly a little Bias or protection diode upstream.

Plus... you know... reuse... repair... recycle... best outcome of all.

I never got to test the elf, it sat in the shop for a week while ups didn’t pick up, so in the end I cancelled the order and am now considering a deal on a Series 6 GP12-AH200 as my main driver and moving the GP7-130 Series 6 to gonzo punk guitar duties.

Something in me still feels a bit off about Class D in high power/heat dissipation environments, if it goes it’s gone totally. No swapping MOSFET and possibly a little Bias or protection diode upstream.

Plus... you know... reuse... repair... recycle... best outcome of all.

My first proper bass rig circa 1986. I added a 4x10 to get the classic Trace rig look.

33941063378_677f791f9a_c.jpg

So last week I bought another pedal (Benson Preamp) which then promptly appeared on That Pedal Show. It's a completely awesome pedal although it basically replaces all my previous drive pedals and the various combinations I had settled on over the last 6 months.

PS Benson amps are the most hipster amps ever : http://www.bensonamps.com/

Had a mooch round Walton's, the biggest music store left in Ireland (I think). Moved from its long-standing Dubin city centre location(s) to one huge big site at an out of town Retail Park.

Two things of note:

(i) Came across a rather unusual Les Paul - the Les Paul 'Less'

https://www.12fret.com/instruments/gibson-les-paul-less-plus-sunburst-2015/

Nice thing - super slim body, and just over 3kg weight. Maybe an alternative to all the Fat Lesters out there .. :) Does have those silly robot tuners though.

(ii) I also noticed their stock was down to about maybe less than a dozen Gibson solid-bodied guitars - in a shop with perhaps 200-300 six-string electrics on display.

I was chatting to the manager, and he said once those ones sell, that's it - that's the last ones they'll be stocking. Some time ago Gibson changed their 'minimum order quantity' to 40 guitars - no once/off, or small orders of 2/5/10/20 accepted any more. The chap said they took the view that ordering/pre-paying for/having to stock guitars in increments of c.40-50ks worth of outlay at a time was just not viable commercially. If that's the line for all distributors, it means the end of offline sales for new Gibsons round these parts :(

After the usual lengthy period of procrastination in such matters, I finally got off the pot and bought a new box to see whether these amp thingys have come on any in the last 20 years. New-to-me bought off 't Bay, from a really helpful chap in Glasgow, a Mustang 4. Came boxed like new, with its own 4-button foot pedal, and has two Celestion seventy-80 speakers on board (which seemingly is a good thing):

With 99 presets ranging from Norwegian Grunge to Johnny Marr Tremolo, Vox, Marshall and Fender's own classic amps, and Gawd only knows what else - and the ability to programme as many more if you like, I think the answer is a solid yes.

Really chuffed with it. It seems to work well at household volume levels, and the d@mn thing does actually make you sound a fair bit better than what you are. Wish I'd had the wit to buy one years ago :)

(ii) I also noticed their stock was down to about maybe less than a dozen Gibson solid-bodied guitars - in a shop with perhaps 200-300 six-string electrics on display.

I was chatting to the manager, and he said once those ones sell, that's it - that's the last ones they'll be stocking. Some time ago Gibson changed their 'minimum order quantity' to 40 guitars - no once/off, or small orders of 2/5/10/20 accepted any more. The chap said they took the view that ordering/pre-paying for/having to stock guitars in increments of c.40-50ks worth of outlay at a time was just not viable commercially. If that's the line for all distributors, it means the end of offline sales for new Gibsons round these parts :(

I believe that Andertons and GuitarGuitar have a joint purchasing operation going now. I think similar kinds of cooperative arrangements will be the only way to compete with the big boys...

Yeah they'll have to do something. Walton's was/is the biggest bricks and mortar guitar retailer in Ireland though - so if they can't afford the stock-holdings, not much hope for any of the others.

I think a truly switched-on manufacturer/distributor would come up with some arrangement which recognises the value of having their guitars handleable/on-display in the remaining physical bricks and mortar establishments - and cut them some slack before they're all gone and we have to buy on spec from the web giants.

I am having such a blast with my Benson preamp pedal. It has so many tones in it and, at the risk of dreadful guitarspeak, it has this wonderful amp like responsiveness and touch sensitivity. It's hugely enjoyable to play and the only real problem is I now have loads of drive pedals I don't really want any more. Highly recommended despite the £££ price.

Benson amps are also very cool and possibly my new desert island amp.

While I've had it for over a year, I'll declare yesterday as official NGD for my white Stratocaster partscaster project:

t9z8ug.jpg

I assembled it about this time last year, then took it to a local luthier to cut the nut and do a final setup. I was not pleased with either, and took it to another luthier, who in my opinion managed to make it even worse. I tried tweaking it on my own off and on for the next year, but mostly reached past it to grab other guitars that worked better.

It had some geometry issues - the string spacing at the nut looked okay, but the strings were shifted to the treble side of the fingerboard - plenty of room around the low E, and the high E was in danger of falling off the edge. The strings didn't line up with the pickup pole pieces either.

So I gave the guitar one last chance, and drove to Memphis and gave it to a luthier there. Within seconds he had diagnosed the main problem - I had the wrong bridge. Apparently there are different string spacings for different Strats - 2 7/32" and 2 1/16". My bridge was a 2 7/32" one, what was required was one with 2 1/6" string spacing and 2 7/32" pivot spacing.

https://www.callahamguitars.com/tech_compatibility_strat.htm

Getting that sorted, plus a new nut and yet another setup, and it is FINALLY a playable guitar!

Cool. Were you walking with your feet ten feet off of Beale after that ? :)

I didn't go anywhere near Beale, it's a tourist trap :)

I'm about two hours west of Memphis, so it's not an insurmountable errand for a Saturday afternoon. It would appear that I have to go that far to find a luthier who isn't crap. We used to have a really good guy here, but his heart exploded a few years ago. He did a lovely job refretting my old Telecaster.

I am having such a blast with my Benson preamp pedal. It has so many tones in it and, at the risk of dreadful guitarspeak, it has this wonderful amp like responsiveness and touch sensitivity. It's hugely enjoyable to play and the only real problem is I now have loads of drive pedals I don't really want any more. Highly recommended despite the £££ price.

I have to admit I’m moving closer and closer to dropping £2k on a 6 Watt Rift. It is a ridiculous extravagance for someone who is genuinely (i.e. no false modesty here) shite at playing the guitar, but I know it would be something I’d own for the rest of my life and would bring a lot of daily enjoyment. Really easy to service too, just like proper classic hi-fi kit, so it would last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back