advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt III

In other news my amp has gone very quiet. Like it still works but is quieter than the strings.

I assume this means the power tube has gone? Although the front panel power on led behind the logo also want a while ago so I worry it might be something more widespread?

It could be a variety of things. First thing to check is all valves are properly seated and nothing has rattled loose. It is likely one of the power valves from the symptoms (there will be a pair), but it may be a preamp or phase-splitter valve too. Always worth having a spare set to hand as that way you can do some diagnostics swapping them around one at a time to see where the fault is. Anything obvious visually, e.g. one not glowing, half fallen out, or shooting crazy sparks? Worth checking the small preamp valves are warm if you can’t see a glow, but don’t touch the much bigger power valves or rectifier (if the amp has one) as they are seriously hot and will take the skin off your fingers.

Thanks. Going to have a look at it tomorrow with my Dad who has assured me he knows how to avoid us getting killed by undischarged capacitor :)

Meanwhile dug out my old Blackstar which remains a fine amp. Indeed if I ran it into the 12" Celestian green back in the Morgan, I bet that would get it a long way to as good as the Morgan.

Adrian's latest is how to play the Pot Black theme. Which I wouldn't bother with except I suspect it will be the perfect answer to the "What can you play then?" question when family of the PFM demographic come to visit ;-)

Adrian's latest is how to play the Pot Black theme. Which I wouldn't bother with except I suspect it will be the perfect answer to the "What can you play then?" question when family of the PFM demographic come to visit ;-)

Nice! Tim Pierce did a good one of Glenn Miller - In The Mood, I'll try to find it.

Not guitar, but The Youtubes suggested I watch this. I’d never heard of the drummer (she’s pop genre apparently), I barely know Slipknot, and she’d never heard this either. Absolutely knocks it out of the park, amazing technique and attitude. I much prefer her take to the original!

Not guitar, but The Youtubes suggested I watch this. I’d never heard of the drummer (she’s pop genre apparently), I barely know Slipknot, and she’d never heard this either. Absolutely knocks it out of the park, amazing technique and attitude. I much prefer her take to the original!

She is amazing, love the fun she is having and impressive read of #1 (Joey Jordison RIP) who was one of the most impressive metal drummers.

Now that Tony has sullied with the sacred guitar thread with a) drums and b) a blatant thirst trap I am off to find a video of a hot 20-something explaining MMT for Centrist Dads and we will finally reach the end of PFM history. <evil laugh>

Hi
Just sharing some info about a new Guitar and Bass group that has recently started in Somerset. It's main aim is to have a bit of fun with like minded guitar and bass players of all abilities and musical styles.
See the flyer for more details
The organiser John has put up a short video about the group Guitar & Bass The second get together is on Thursday 15th Sep at the Arts Centre in Bridgwater with a zoom play along a week later, everybody of any ability is very welcome to play and chat guitar and music
Jay
IMG-20220912-221242-HDR.jpg

advertisement

Back