advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt III

Obviously most of my practice involves triad drills and perfecting my use of the double harmonic minor but occasionally I resort to cribbing some riffs via Bloxsy who appears to basically live in my record collection.

On the subject of big muffs, I ran across this relic late yesterday:

67575626-B330-451-B-BF3-C-5-C099872-D014.jpg" alt="67575626-B330-451-B-BF3-C-5-C099872-D014

The web tells me it’s a V7 Civil War model, whatever that means. This one appears to have survived an actual war, but only just. The price is half that – green tags are 50% off this week. If I thought I could get a reasonably original replacement on/off switch, I would probably buy it.

Got the TPS live Q&A on in the background and Mick has never heard of Devo.

He. Has. Never. Heard. Of. Devo.

This explains everything.

Yeah Dan's the one who likes the really crazy, out there experimental stuff like XTC.

Yes, Dan is far wider and very good when it comes to jazz IMO. He can sound seriously good on his jazz semi or acoustic. Mick’s taste is white blues rock and he seems happy there so I’m not knocking him. I was just absolutely astounded he didn’t know of Devo. He said he’d actually never heard of them, not didn’t like or whatever. Didn’t even know the name. I may be biased as they broke when I was a 15 year old school kid so I have all the early singles, the first album (on US splatter vinyl no less) etc. Mick has to be a good ten years younger than me so may have a huge gap around that time. I wonder if he knows Television, Patti Smith etc? Devo was all part of that thing for me along with UK stuff (Pistols, Stranglers, TRB, Ian Dury etc). Late-period school music for me along with a load of prog stuff I’d been into previously that I know Mick likes (Floyd etc). It is amusing the gaps we all have. In hindsight disco, soul, funk etc was my blind-spot. I was very much in a rock clique at school.

The odd thing about Mick given how much he has been around music and musicians all his life is how little curiosity he seems to have. One assumes that his entire social circle must just all like the same music and he never had the thing where you get to know someone and they have a completely different set of records to you and they play you some Arab Strap :)

I strongly suspect this is because his background is so guitars and guitar magazine dominated and that whole industry is focused on exactly that sort of music. Dan played in lots of different bands in different cities and seems to have a much more diverse set of influences. Although I thing this is just relative to Mick. They both compare very badly to Josh Scott who, his odd Oasis blind spot aside, has excellent taste in music.

Did you watch the Adam Neely / Rob Scallon collabs? The Rob teaches Adam djent was a bit meh mostly as it was a lot of Adam playing drums very badly, but the Adam teaches Rob jazz was a lot of fun.

They both compare very badly to Josh Scott who, his odd Oasis blind spot aside, has excellent taste in music.

Josh (JHS Show) is crazy talented IMO, as is the whole JHS band. I’m genuinely stunned by how good and also why no one has signed them up for an album yet. They just seem able to knock out riff after riff that sounds fresh and could really go somewhere with a little development. They throw away more stuff on random YouTube shows than many bands ever have!

I like Mick & Dan, but TPS is looking pretty stale of late, I actually miss whole episodes now, or at most watch the first 20 minutes, whereas JHS Show just keeps on delivering.

http://www.mojoguitarshows.co.uk/?f...w2zhDQ7P5D3faxeg0o76P9cIkuTx-m4a8oGq1nj6_UMAo

Lancashire Guitar Show, July 10 in Whitworth nr Rochdale. Anyone been to one of these?

I popped up for a look early on. It looked good, quite full, lots of stuff. I was clearly the only one with any concept of covid risk, the only mask-wearer, and as it was pretty full I didn’t stay long. Didn’t buy anything, but a few nice vintage instruments up for grabs; a couple of nice early 70s Teles, a Jazzmaster and a couple of nice mid-70s Jazz Basses. Lots of parts, pickups, kit bits etc too if that’s your thing.

To be honest my interest in guitars is now so tightly focused there is next to nothing that catches my attention unless its a Les Paul Jr or Gordon Smith equivalent. I’m interested in custom-specifying a very lightweight P90 equipped GS1 at some point as an alternative to my slightly too heavy Humbucker one. Real vintage Les Paul Jrs are just through the roof price wise now, and I’m not sure I like the modern Gibson as a company, so I suspect another Gordon Smith at some point makes sense. I really want to sell some stuff too (the Strat & Jazz Bass).

One thing I was very pleased about is it wasn’t loud at all. Someone playing some acoustic folk stuff in the bar quite quietly and no one playing at more than home TV level in the main area. I’d actually taken ear-plugs as I feared TPS levels, but I heard nothing that would impede a normal conversation volume-wise.

They are probably not allowed to play even remotely loudly as a condition of the licence.

Not sure if this has been posted on here already but it's a good breakdown. Can't believe he took that Carlton solo apart and learned how it worked as a 14 year old back in 76.

He's certainly got it nailed now though. Respect.

advertisement

Back