advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt III

Yes I was impressed. I also thought of you when I watched one where he was slagging off surface mount parts and how you can buy an expensive amp that is effectively un-repairable once the manufacturer stops making the bespoke board that does some crucial part of the amp.

Thing (I think) I've learned: Tastes change – always keep your pedals.

I've found that I've ended up trying pedals, not connecting with them, and selling them on, only to buy them again some time later.

Obviously there are some dogs out there that can and should be shifted. But if I run across a a decent sounding _________ (compressor, phase shifter, whatever) I'm inclined to keep it around now, even if it doesn't immediately find a spot on the pedalboard.

Sure, I've got four overdive pedals, two chorus pedals, and four others that mostly live in a box, at least for now. But hey, they're pretty small.

Thoughts?

I have loads of pedals and *love* them. They are super inspiring and rotating them is half the fun, so basically if I am bored or in a rut I swap some of them around and off we go again.

Currently really, really into my looper. It's just so much fun, especially for someone like me who doesn't have other musicians to play with.

Thing (I think) I've learned: Tastes change – always keep your pedals.

I've found that I've ended up trying pedals, not connecting with them, and selling them on, only to buy them again some time later.

Obviously there are some dogs out there that can and should be shifted. But if I run across a a decent sounding _________ (compressor, phase shifter, whatever) I'm inclined to keep it around now, even if it doesn't immediately find a spot on the pedalboard.

Sure, I've got four overdive pedals, two chorus pedals, and four others that mostly live in a box, at least for now. But hey, they're pretty small.

Thoughts?

Speaking as somebody who's still got these two from back in the day..1980(?)ish, I'm probably entirely the wrong person to ask :)

1ojVcXAl.jpg

Ne1NS9gl.jpg

Yeah - early one, bought new. Mk3 model possibly ?

KaHWn8hl.jpg

Friend of mine in a school band had one, and used it once to nail the China Grove riff to perfection on my poxy little solid state amp. Decided there and then I had to have one :)

That Big Muff tops my list of pedals I wish I'd kept. It was my first pedal, bought in 1981. Traded it and my Gibson Marauder in for a '74 SG. Which I also wish I'd kept.

Just want to say hi and show off my updated avatar with my brownish upgraded jazz bass with a roasted maple neck, Fender oversized tuners, pearl pick guard and new CTS control plate : a real pleasure to play !

The body shape is vaguely Shergold or WAL-ish.

Were there any other spinoffs from the Burns - Hayman - Shergold lineage?

The body shape is vaguely Shergold or WAL-ish.

Were there any other spinoffs from the Burns - Hayman - Shergold lineage?

Not of that era. Conceptually it has to be 1980s or later as it is what I’d describe as of the ‘super-Strat’ genre, though without the expected heavy metal trem. It is definitely not a Shergold, I’m pretty well read there, and all the related brands were long dead by this point (Shergold was the last and they were gone by the mid-80s until Burns was relaunched in the mid to late-90s). The other related things like Baldwin, Hayman, Shaftesbury, Ned Callan etc were long, long gone. The nearest Shergold would be an Activator, which are rare as hens teeth and look nothing like it (full model list here). I’d love to find one of those!

Had there been no mention of ‘made in England’ I’d have bet on it being a lower-end MIJ guitar. Not Matsumoku, one of the lesser factories, though that doesn’t explain the truly awful control layout which makes me think it is a DIY mod, e.g. someone without a router trying to get four pots in a cavity made for two! The Gibson-style stop-bar and bridge looks very wrong there to me too, the whole dimensions are just off somehow!

advertisement

Back