advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.
'84 Tele

fullsizeoutput-4f.jpg

42 telly

s-l1600.jpg

Except that the way you create the next generation of new artists is to allow then to learn for themselves and develop their own playing styles complete with their own tics and foibles. Otherwise you end up with loads of people who perform exactly what's on the tab or what the YouTube person plays. Technically competent but as dull as f***.

Hmm. Speaking as someone who bought music "books" from the likes of Steely Dan way back when as a 14 year old I found it totally impossible to understand. Unlike today when you can go watch a video to play whatever you want.

As a 12 year old I built a guitar in Woodwork lessons. 1970. It was complete rubbish and the music lessons at the time had you play that Tales From The Riverbank thing - or something from the 1820's or whatever.

Me? I just wanted to learn how to play stuff from Led Zep , Free, Humble Pie, David Bowie, Alice Cooper or whatever.

And I did. By playing along with their records. Still can't read music but I can jam along with anyone (in my own way)

Makes me want to do something with the Leslie 122 I've got stowed in my laundry room. It still worked the last time it was connected to an organ, but that was in 2010. I'd like an organ to go with it, but don't have any place to put one. A Hammond M3 would do nicely.

Try the new Arturia B3-V with it's Leslie off and pipe it through a 122. The new velocity-to-busbars feature really helps with realism. Or get a Hammond XK5!

I now prefer this to my Nord Electro>122 sound.

I would also like another B3—but to be honest, this is better than most B3/Leslies I've played!

Stephen

Now I am not really influenced much by instrument endorsements but I have always been a huge Mark King fan (where the 42 in my username comes from) but this announcement yesterday does have a certain symmetry to it:

Mark King with Markbass (amp) and Kingbass (Status bass)

mark_king_lm_vintage_insta.jpg__1980x1980_q85_subsampling-2.jpg

I really wish I was a youngster growing up in this era.

Think of a song that you want to learn how to play. Go on Youtube. And there you are.

This guy isn't perfect but as far as explaining the chord shapes and the fingering - he's pretty damn close and it's a really good effort with no pretensions. Love this song.

Yeah his site is excellent. And I think he is v accurate. Happy to cover post punk stuff rather than just blues etc.

Now I am not really influenced much by instrument endorsements but I have always been a huge Mark King fan (where the 42 in my username comes from) but this announcement yesterday does have a certain symmetry to it:

Mark King with Markbass (amp) and Kingbass (Status bass)

mark_king_lm_vintage_insta.jpg__1980x1980_q85_subsampling-2.jpg

Stephen

Is that an automatic?

I'm right handed and have always worn a watch on my right wrist. It got in the way up the neck otherwise.

Easy way to wind it up too. (Cue lots of "chokin' the chicken" comments....)

Just bought one of these for my daughter. Sire R3 - solid top, laminate b&s - very pleasantly surprised £300

291377-IMG_8291.JPG

I was looking at those the other day, Gav, as I keep thinking about an acoustic. It did really well in the blind shoot out as I recall.

Indeed given that an acoustic for me would be all about sofa noodling, the smaller the better adn I also wonder about palour guitars.

Don’t overlook a nylon strung classical, I love mine and haven’t played the steel string acoustic since buying it!

Don’t overlook a nylon strung classical, I love mine and haven’t played the steel string acoustic since buying it!

Hmm. I want to learn blues and some fingerpicking and stuff that will transfer to my electric guitar. Not sure a classical guitar would work for that.

My other question is where is the sweet spot is in terms of getting something I will like and enjoy playing by spending the least but not so little it's limit or sounds meh. Overall though I suspect I can get away with a pretty cheap acoustic.

BTW Today's TPS is the one from the ATB guitar shop.

Hmm. I want to learn blues and some fingerpicking and stuff that will transfer to my electric guitar. Not sure a classical guitar would work for that.

Couldn't you just play an electric acoustically ?..ie , not amped up ?

Works for me.... plenty of tone and volume from my Tele for instance.

Added advantage is that you build up 'muscle memory' on that instrument.

I was looking at those the other day, Gav, as I keep thinking about an acoustic. It did really well in the blind shoot out as I recall.

They're quite a steal really. I should have said that the set up is perfect too, which really surprised me. I didn't want to send an eleven year old to school with an expensive instrument but she wanted to switch from classical and this looked like a good compromise. The new Yamahas out for summer namm look really interesting too, if you ignore the lifestyle marketing ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back