advertisement

grunge

are you denying that jazz is black dance music?

No, just the absurd notion it ended just after WW2 – a huge number of the real high-points were in the 50s and 60s (and some would argue the 70s and beyond). Your cut-off point removes the entire Blue Note, Riverside, Prestige, Impulse, Atlantic, Verve etc catalogue from the equation which IMO shows a frankly staggering ignorance of the genre. I’d get out and listen more - you clearly have much amazing music to discover!

Tony.

I was in Seattle about this time last year inspecting a fish processing plant. (I know, I get all the good jobs!) We stayed on the waterside at that big swanky hotel that looks across Puget Sound (nice!) and one evening I slid out to a blues bar in a dark bit of town one street back from Pike Street Market (I think). The band was *OK* without being great, but there seemed to be a fair bit going on. The other end of the town (towards the stadium, what's the name of the square?) had a bar with a jazz quartet type band, free entry, not really my scene but it was good to see.

Pioneer Square. There's at least one first-class jazz joint in Seattle that I know of (used to be anyway): Dimitriou's Jazz Alley. Saw a few mighty fine shows there. Looking over their upcoming schedule, though, I admit I don't see much that trips my trigger.

The best place I knew of to hear grunge music (RCKNDY) is gone... looks like the Crocodile Cafe has closed, too. Ahh, memories.

Just played Husker Du - Land Speed Record. Probably not grunge. Just crazily fast punk. Makes The Ramones sound like Yes.

Cheers

Rich

Quit fair to consider the Melvins a strong formative grunge influence

Yes, I said that but it doesn't make them a grunge band. There's meant to be a John Zorn (possibly Naked City) 'tribute' to the Melvins style but I don't think it has been released. I'd like to hear it.

I cant see any 'grunge' in that Husker Du- sounds just independent/hardcore ish to me, but I'm no fan at all though.

Pioneer Square. There's at least one first-class jazz joint in Seattle that I know of (used to be anyway): Dimitriou's Jazz Alley. Saw a few mighty fine shows there. Looking over their upcoming schedule, though, I admit I don't see much that trips my trigger.

The best place I knew of to hear grunge music (RCKNDY) is gone... looks like the Crocodile Cafe has closed, too. Ahh, memories.

yes the Croc is the latest casualty and a true shame

Jazz Alley does have some really good shows, but mingled in between 5 night Kenny G stands. Even in the 80's, there was great jazz to be found on almost any given night in NYC.

jazz died shortly after WWII and finally came back as house music...

2234594878_1a96df7a69_m.jpg

I cant see any 'grunge' in that Husker Du- sounds just independent/hardcore ish to me, but I'm no fan at all though.

Without Husker Du grunge would possibly not have sounded as it did. They wre clearly a huge influence of early Nirvana. IMO Celebrated Summer is a piece of sublime beauty but some other thinsg on Zen Arcade or Warehouse: Songs and Stories are closer to the grunge template.

And there is no excuse for not being a fan. Get a copy of:
New Day Rising -
Zen Arcade
Warehouse

and download (if you can)
Love Is All Around -their take on the theme from the Mary Tyler Moore show

Maybe they didn't have the heavy metal /slacker thing going but there is a lot to love here.

And a shout for the movie Singles which had a great grungy soundtrack:
1. Alice In Chains
2. Breath - Pearl Jam
3. Seasons - Chris Cornell
4. Dyslexic Heart - Paul Westerberg
5. Battle Of Evermore - The Lovemongers
6. Chloe Dancer / Crown Of Thorns - Mother Love Bone
7. Birth Ritual - Soundgarden
8. State Of Love And Trust - Pearl Jam
9. Overblown - Mudhoney
10. Waiting For Somebody - Paul Westerberg
11. May This Be Love - Jimi Hendrix
12. Nearly Lost You - Screaming Trees
13. Drown - Smashing Pumpkins

Now , where did I put that plaid shirt?

Kevin

bec.

jazz died shortly after WWI and finally came back as house music, first as a twisted, popular manifestation in disco and then more accurately as the real thing in the following 2 decades, inspiring all sorts of electronic/DJ offshoots along the way. the most interesting and influential stuff is based in Germany.

vuk.

EFA

DS

advertisement

Back