advertisement

Gropegate: Conservative Party Conference 2019

The party of law and order:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ueYeCNWZBG8A1tVF-JfjMtqb46YpCUNJRwWAOxKAvan70
The government has offered no evidence that [longer sentences] will in any way make the public any safer. The purpose is purely punitive; red meat tossed on the Conservative party’s buffet table for the salivating hang-’em-and-flog-’em brigade, with a beady eye on a nakedly populist election campaign and an increasingly authoritarian tabloid press. It’s cynicism bordering on nihilism; shamelessly undermining public confidence in sentencing by spreading misinformation about how the justice system actually works.

<moderating>

Death threats, no matter how funny and well intended, are not really something one can publish on the internet these days!

Abusers have akways counted on women bring too frightened or embarrassed to do that. Comments like yours contribute to that mindset.

She could have written to their boss at the time or even better reported him to the Police.

Waiting twenty years to reveal all makes it just appear opportunist given her current employer and BJ’s predicament/position as PM.

Of course, if she had some physical evidence, like Monica Lewinsky had on her dress from Bill Clinton, things would be very different.

Ray

Betty's got the back of her dress all ripped out
Mama's got her face muffled twist and shout

You're a liar
Liar, liar, you got your pants on fire

You profit from the lie
You prophet from the lie
You profit from the rape

Lie baby
Eat meat, hate blacks, beat your f**kin wife
It's all the same thing Deny, you live your life in denial
Stand my whole life on trial baby,
Deny, deny, deny, deny

She could have written to their boss at the time or even better reported him to the Police.

Waiting twenty years to reveal all makes it just appear opportunist given her current employer and BJ’s predicament/position as PM.

Of course, if she had some physical evidence, like Monica Lewinsky had on her dress from Bill Clinton, things would be very different.

Ray

She has reported what happened to her, not made a complaint. Goes to character, your honour. You are forgetting that Johnson was her boss and if he was shagging Pet Wyatt at the time (Google is your friend), she might well have been this woman's direct report.

In any event, the only person whose career would have been marked or possibly ended by "making a fuss" was hers. This sort of thing is a power game and always has been. Johnson is a serial philanderer and liar with a massive sense of entitlement. He is, and always has been, totally unfit for office. The level of his current 'support' says more about how malleable their standards are than anything else.

Your "she should have reported it to the Police" says more about your understanding of the power imbalance in such a situation. She is a repected journalist (as opposed to Johnson who was sacked for making stuff up) of whom even Matt Hancock in an awkward interview admitted he would believe.

As an aside, yet another example of behaviour that would never pass the "What if Corbyn had done it" test. Just imagine the front pages for a minute.

May I remind everyone that the Right Honourable Gentleman's full name is Door-Matt Hancock.

Ray

On a different thread, haven't you call someone arrogant for presuming to know the inner workings of someone else's mind?

Thanks for paying so much attention to my posts ks.234. Reading across threads too - I'm impressed.

That is why I used the word 'appear' whereas the chap on the different thread you mention left no margin for doubt.

Ray

Did Priti Patel really say “north London metropolitan elites?” On camera with a smirk?
holy shit, that’s a call to arms if ever I saw one.

Barely coded alt-right antisemitism right out in the open. **** these people.

Dunno I am at work.

Seems odd though because the Tory Party and their MPs have traditionally supported Israel (in contrast to Benn/Corbyn etc).

Will have a look later though and, as it is a serious accusation, I will get back to you with an opinion.

Bet you can't wait.

Did Priti Patel really say “north London metropolitan elites?” On camera with a smirk?
holy shit, that’s a call to arms if ever I saw one.

Barely coded alt-right antisemitism right out in the open. **** these people.

I doubt Priti Patel would say anything anti-semitic, do you remember why she was sacked?

She could have been making a reference to Islington new labour voters, but then again she is a fvcking idiot.

There is no way she did not say this knowingly. Senior Tory politician here, keynote speech, and they've been warned about this rootless cosmopolitan stuff before. That it's incompatible with traditional Tory support for Israel or her own freelancing with that country just doesn't come into it: she has no beliefs herself and she knows the press (British and Israeli) will simply brush it aside. In fact that's just what happened. The rush from journalists to defend her on this is incredible, especially given the way they haul random Labour Party members across the front pages for saying something dumb about Israeli agents on Twitter.

If you add this to Rees-Mogg's rant about Soros in the HoC it just couldn't be clearer what they're doing. They are signalling to street fascists that they have support at the top. They are signalling to international right wing networks that they have allies here. They're inciting the violence they've been warning about.

Abusers have akways counted on women bring too frightened or embarrassed to do that. Comments like yours contribute to that mindset.

You may be right, or you may be wrong. But you have to admit that you have no idea who is lying or telling the truth, and what their motives are. You are passing judgement through ideological prejudice, rather than on the basis of concrete facts. And I don't think you are on a higher moral level than I am by doing so, although I have no doubt your motives are sincere and honourable. Perhaps I am more cynical.
In addition, the people involved are hardly naive, innocent creatures. The lady in question has been in the thick of politics and journalism for most of her life, and probably knows how to play her cards.
This is not to say that you may not be entirely right, but one cannot help wondering and asking some questions. Otherwise what fun would a forum discussion be?

There is no way she did not say this knowingly. Senior Tory politician here, keynote speech, and they've been warned about this rootless cosmopolitan stuff before. That it's incompatible with traditional Tory support for Israel or her own freelancing with that country just doesn't come into it: she has no beliefs herself and she knows the press (British and Israeli) will simply brush it aside. In fact that's just what happened. The rush from journalists to defend her on this is incredible, especially given the way they haul random Labour Party members across the front pages for saying something dumb about Israeli agents on Twitter.

If you add this to Rees-Mogg's rant about Soros in the HoC it just couldn't be clearer what they're doing. They are signalling to street fascists that they have support at the top. They are signalling to international right wing networks that they have allies here. They're inciting the violence they've been warning about.

Having watched the video I don't think she is referring to the London Jewish community. She follows that statement with direct comments/attacks about Corbyn and Abbott.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_elite

That constant smug, arrogant and condescending smirk is really annoying though, I really despise her and everything she stands for.

Wouldn't be surprised to see her as a future tory leader.

It can be both: there can be explicit and implicit meanings, or layers of implicit meanings. A lot depends on context and audience. There is an audience - the international far right - who understand the coding very well, especially given the context of Rees-Mogg's attack on Soros and that other ____ shouting Britain First! in the HoC. Take Patel out of the equation: she didn't write this speech. We can take it as read that all Tory communications are now centralised. This, Mogg and the Britain First outburst are essentially all part of the same message.

They wouldn't risk this unless they knew they had a tame right wing and liberal media who would bend over backwards to give them the benefit of the doubt, but that's where we are.

Or it's just how you want to interpret it.

Well I guess it would confirm my worst suspicions about these people, so sure. The question for me is why anyone would look at Rees-Mogg's Soros nod, Patel's North London wink, and Jake Berry screaming "Britain first!" in the House of Commons, and say, "This is all perfectly spontaneous and innocent, and anyone who says otherwise is clearly acting in bad faith."

Seanm

I think you may be in need of a holiday.

Ray

A dead cat whatabout, pointing the finger at the most popular Semitic demon figure amongst the far right, by a man connected with the international far right, with no evidence (at least none according to the newspaper story I read about it)...

Noticing that this is potentially something foul raising its head, and feeling that we should be worried about it is not evidence of needing a holiday. It is evidence, inconclusive by itself but strong nonetheless, that something foul is sitting at the heart of the government.

advertisement

Back