advertisement

Grenfell: inquest or public inquiry?

The cladding was "More flammable than dropping a match into petrol"; https://twitter.com/UKDemockery/status/1004019293653291013
That's a clearly untrue statement that does nothing to elucidate the situation. We all know that many/most plastics are flammable, we all know that they are less so than petrol. A very simple test will prove this, disprove the assertion and cast doubt on the reliability of everything else they say.

It's our old friend 'political will' as usual.

Shambles.

We've been here so many times.

The simple truth is that it is considerably less expensive to take care of the mass media than it is to do the same for the general populace.

We elect primarily career minded politicians whose main goal it to retain their day job. The most cost effective way of achieving that is through managing the press.

That's a clearly untrue statement that does nothing to elucidate the situation. We all know that many/most plastics are flammable, we all know that they are less so than petrol. A very simple test will prove this, disprove the assertion and cast doubt on the reliability of everything else they say.
Actually, there's more chance of a match going out than the barrel going up. Pop round with mescalito and I'll happily demonstrate.

Think it will be the usual , state the blinking obvious ,vaguely apportion blame , nothing new happens that has already been agreed . Ido hope they do really get stuck into those that managed the refurb bodge job

The cladding was "More flammable than dropping a match into petrol"; https://twitter.com/UKDemockery/status/1004019293653291013
Fundamentally untrue, as Stevec67 notes above.

The key thing - having read the BRE test reports as they came in late last year - is that the ACP core material energy content is comparable with ~ 4l of diesel /m^2. At the temps it was exposed to, it effectively became a liquid-fuelled fire; a key factor in the rate of fire spread.

Utterly dreadful - but not at all what is quoted of that lawyer.

Some years ago (the exact details are a little sketchy) someone was killed at an unmanned crossing I think in Suffolk. At the inquest the Coroner made several recommendations one being to prevent such a tragedy from taking place again by taking on board safety measures. British Rail did nothing. Approximately 7 or 8 years later a similar tragedy occurred at the same place and the HSE fined British Rail millions of pounds for their failure to implement the recommendations of the Coroners Report and allowing such a tragedy to be repeated. Coroners do have some clout and ignoring their findings does make you culpable should similar events take place again.

HMG have no say in whether an inquest takes place; that is for the Coroner to decide. 71 inquests were opened into the Grenfell victims but were adjourned pending the outcome of the Inquiry.

Sorry, you’re right, to be more correct the concerns are that the inquests will be delayed for years (as in Lakanal) and the terms of reference of the inquiry are too narrow.

Am I the only one appalled by the callousness of the professionals involved in applying cladding to this tower block? No need for firebreaks it burns so quick it will just drop off. And all involved knowing this stuff didn't meet fire regulations. Never mind it saved half a million on the project cost.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...bishers-knew-cladding-would-fail-inquiry-told

It's appalling. The contractors are busy blaming each other for the tragedy. The Kensington & Chelsea Tenant Management Organization (TMO) agreed to the cladding to save money. The TMO looks after over 10,000 properties for Kensington & Chelsea Council. I live in the area and many people are really angry about the situation.

"The inquiry also heard how, in 2014, the combustible cladding panels made by Arconic, which contained a flammable polyethylene core, were chosen as part of an attempt to cut £454,000 from the budget by the Kensington and Chelsea Tenants’ Management organisation," according to The Guardian.

Jack

We have Cellotex in our place.
:(
Behind plasterboard if that makes a difference

It would be worth investigating, I guess. A friend of mine lives in a posh block in Greenwich, which had cladding. The leaseholders have had a legal battle I believe to get the contractors to strip it off. I think it has now been done but will ask next time I see him.

Jack

advertisement

Back