Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Greenstreet or Kore?

Discussion in 'audio' started by sktn77a, Oct 9, 2020.

1. sktn77a

sktn77a pfm Member

Hello all:

I've read all of the relevant posts on this forum but still am wondering which would be the better upgrade for my 1997 LP12 (Cirkus bearing)/Ekos 2. I can get the Kore for the same price as the GS. Logic tells me the GS should be better as a pretty good Keel clone but has anyboy here had experience with both?

Not interested in other upgrades at this time.

2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Greenstreet may not be compatible with Karousel; I appreciate you are not looking at other upgrades but I think this is still an important factor.

Personally I would stay with Linn upgrades but many others will disagree.

3. sktn77a

sktn77a pfm Member

Oh, really? Not that I'm planning a Karousel upgrade any time soon, but why do you think there may be a compatibility issue? I figured that, as both are compatible with the Cirkus, there wouldn't be an issue with the Karousel(?)

4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Thinking about it I may be getting it mixed up with the Mober upgrades, apologies.

5. sktn77a

sktn77a pfm Member

I'll shoot Greenstreet a line and see if they've checked this out yet.

6. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

Karousel can fit a Greenstreet. I’ve just had it done and very good it sounds too

I’ve not compared a GS with a Kore - suffice to say that my Linn dealer is always trying to get me to move over to Linn original products. I’m VERY happy with the GS.

7. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

It needs a shim but GS made me one and sent it in a week. Check their website as they told me they would advertise it

8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I suppose I was half right;)

If the shim is a reasonable cost I would get one anyway just in case & will make deck more sellable if you decide to move it on.

9. sktn77a

sktn77a pfm Member

I just got a reply from Greenstreet. Their Keel clone subchassis is not compatible with the Karousel at present. There may be a work-around (the shim?) but they are working on making it fully compatible.

10. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

David Genther at GS made me a shim and sent it straight to my dealer to fit. It cost me nothing but maybe he was using me as a guinea pig to see if he could make it work :D

11. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

A RubiKon.......I wish.

12. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

Hi Andrew - does the Rubikon fit the Karousel without any mods?

13. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

Come on, Andrew, time to turn out a few more.

14. sktn77a

sktn77a pfm Member

They say that they can machine their Greenstreet subchassis to take a Cirkus bearing or the older (pre-Cirkus) bearing so there must be something about the bearing seat that is unique to the Greenstreet. I guess they will eventually machine it differently for the karousel, But we will have to wait and see!

To the original question - anybody have any experience with the Greenstreet vs the Kore?

15. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

What do green street recommend as torque for the Karousel?

16. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Probably easier to get a Karousel;)

17. sktn77a

sktn77a pfm Member

You mean a Kore? I may, just wanted to hear if anyone had heard them both and found any major differences.

18. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

Unlikely you will find a straight A/B comparison with the same power supply, arm, cartridge etc. Given that the Greenstreet is a Klone of the Keel (which itself is much more expensive than a Kore) I’d make a guess that the GS might be a bit better. But who knows..... what do you have now?

James likes this.
  19. rkay5

rkay5 Active Member

Have a look at the Analogue Innovation Sole VIII it as good as Keel and price is only £750

mega lord likes this.
  20. sktn77a

sktn77a pfm Member

I have the original bonded, stamped metal Cirkus subchassis. Only really interested in the Greenstreet or the Kore - want one with the one-piece or bonded armboard. Too may others to get into!