advertisement

Great sub-£1000 DACs

Sparrow

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a DAC that ideally has:
- Great sound quality and build quality
- Durable enough to last for at least 10-15 years (more expensive is fine if will last longer)
- Volume control so can be used straight into power amp (alternatively I could use a "passive pre-amp")
- Energetic sound
- Bonus: EQ controls

I've been on a DAC journey for a while. I had an Arcam IrDAC, which seemed good. I tried a Naim DAC-V1 which seemed similar and therefore very poor value. Recently, I picked up an RME ADI2, which sounds noticeably better (possibly a little on the analytical and bright side), but I'm not happy with the build quality, at least of the current batch, and will probably send it back.

I'm not sure where else to turn to now. I've been looking at Topping, but they seem pretty expensive these days. What would you recommend checking out?

Thanks. Matt

For build quality and durability, NJC Audio's DAC is built with long-term service in mind. But to get pre-amp capabilities, you would have to partner it with the matching headphone amp. Together they'll be about the price of the RME.

I cannot comment on their sound because I haven't gotten further than lusting after them online.

The Rega DAC sounds fantastic to me and was only around £200 used. The DAC-R has remote control but neither have a volume control.

I have an Audiolab Q-DAC that has one, but I doubt it would beat what you have already tried.

Last edited:
There’s a Mytek Brooklyn on the classifieds, no connection to me but it does everything you want. Soncoz get good reviews, loads of options.

He already says he has one and he's not satisfied.

The OP said that it sounded good but he doesn't like the build quality. The RME does look somewhat utilitarian (RME are a pro-audio company) as it has a simple steel box and no fancy knobs, but what you save on this you gain on your money going on high quality components and what is actually a solid build quality (I have owned two, one is recent and is as well built as the original).

To better it more money is required. I have a couple of Mytek DACs and think the Brooklyn is marginally better (less bright too), so a second hand one might be in budget, but the Manhattan II significantly betters it (to my ears) but it cost around £5k.

Benchmark DAC2 HGC, 2analogue inputs, 5 digital inputs, remote control, battleship build quality, balanced &unbalanced output. Got mine for £600 odd second hand.

I have been super satisfied with my 6 year old Teddy DAC. Has remote, volume control, sounds great and very good build quality.

The original Topping D90 is only a contender if you're using the balanced analogue outputs, pretend the RCAs aren't there. It is good though through those balanced outputs.

Don't know about the D90SE, something which was born out of the lack of Ak4499 chips. I do know the DX7 Pro has no issues single ended and is again, remarkably good for the money, if different in presentation to the D90.

advertisement

Back