Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] great phono stage. big sound :)

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by bottleneck, May 17, 2021.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck pfm Member

Hey all.

NO RUSH on this wanted. My music room (due to redecoration) is out of action for months, including the record player.

However, existing phono stage is a little ho-hum. I miss my EAR834p, or my Tom Evans Groove.
    I mention those because you'll get an idea of the presentation I enjoy.

Given there is no rush (the opposite in fact, if I bought something now it will sit in a box!).. gives me time to gently look.

Feel free to point anyone my way.
    Bargains get me moving more quickly of course, but I'm interested in that lovely big vinyl sound :)

Thanks all
    have a great day.

2. bottleneck

bottleneck pfm Member

NB - what's my budget.
    mneh.
    as much as necessary. I have nice kit, so something good :)

3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Moving coil? If so, and you have time, then I'd suggest finding a Cambridge 640p or 651p from eBay (doesn't even need to be working, apparently) and book it in with Jes @Arkless Electronics for transmogrification into one of his GTI or GTI Turbo units.

4. slaba

slaba L75 spinner

Lend the Sculpture A an ear https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product/sculpture-a-mini-discrete-phono-stage/ for less then the price of the 3 tubes sitting in my EAR 834P I just can't fault it, it takes the phono stage of my Modulus 3A to be just on par with it. I can't think of a better deal when buying new, add one of their step-ups if you're driving an MC and you're done looking for a phono stage. My 0.02€

5. bottleneck

bottleneck pfm Member

thanks for those suggestions.
    I especially like the look of the Sculpture A.

However, I do almost always buy used because I don't like the hit when I sell things on (which I do a lot).
    That rules out modifications and new stuff, unless its the rare breed that holds most of its value.

6. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

I've been very happy with the Longdog MCJ3. It's got a great balance of qualities; tonality, dynamics, colour - but it feels reductive breaking it into elements.

https://www.longdogaudio.com/product/lda-mcj3-hybrid-valve-phono-stage/

My review on HiFiWigwam is linked on that page, and I bought the unit after reviewing it. The stages I'd owned immediately prior to this included Trilogy 907 and Edwards MC3.

7. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Ah, I just saw your embargo on new. So be it! You are getting more for your money with the MCJ3 though because it you're buying it direct, without a dealer chain.

8. geoturbo

geoturbo pfm Member

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Just as a matter of interest, it turns out that was my 20,000th post. Where does the time go, eh? :)

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Congrat's and happy 20th millennial birthday, Steve. If those were Nectar points you'd be able to push the boat out a bit in Sainsbury's. :D

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I have limited experience of phono stages. From Naim cards to Tom Evans to Prefix to EAR built-in (912 pre.) with an undistinguished dalliance with a £3K unit from a well-known Essex company which currently escapes me. For me the difference between s/s and valved stages is marked, so the extent that I doubt I could revert. As you're already familiar with EAR, I'd strongly suggest keeping a weather eye out for something along these lines. (for ref., Dais, 2x 12" arms, Urushi and Proteus cart's).

12. pr1nce

pr1nce New Member

Please read about J C Verdier control B phono preamp. Tube based with really high quality smooth powerful exciting sound.
    I do sell one on ebay as I bought it to redraw the schematic and made myself a DIY phono only.

I owned VTL 2.5, EAR 834P, Audio Note M2 RIAA Signature, Thoress Phono Enhancer mk2
    really.. Verdier sounds like a MM phono should sound. No sterile, CD-like, annoying sound. Pure musical bliss ^^

13. Fergus

Fergus pfm Member

You said you miss your EAR 834p. You can PM me if you’re interested in another one. Cheers

14. MANDY

MANDY pfm Member

I have a Tom Evans the groove 20th anniversary edition that I would be willing to sell on I paid £1700 for it from audio emotion it has original box but box isn't the best condition but phono stage is mint . I would be happy to take a loss of £100 and accept £1600 to include postage but collection demo welcome . I'm in no rush to sell but seen your post and thought maybe because I want to go back to a Cyrus signature with psxr2 psu

15. Iceman16

Iceman16 pfm Member

Give @Bigman80 pm about the Bigbottle MK3

Bigman80 likes this.
  16. Orbe Chaser

Orbe Chaser pfm Member

There is a super Tron Severn Ultimate in the classifieds, albeit a few pages in. It is very lightly used, seems to fit your requirements & a huge chunk off the new price of £8.4k.