Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Great news

Discussion in 'off topic' started by garyi, Sep 23, 2022 at 11:52 AM.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Well, it's trebles all round here at Self Employed Contractor Towers. IR 35 has been scrapped so we can go back to paying bugger-all tax and NI. Hurrah for the conservatives, allowing this better-than-average earner to pay next to no contribution to the maintenance of the state, completely legally. Well done Kwasi, now get The Haunted Tentpeg to put poor people in workhouses where they can work for their gruel and pay tax as they should.

Have to go, the single malt is running down and I'm going to turn the heating up. Thanks Liz. You're great. You love people like me. Don't you just look after us.

foxwelljsly, Cheese and ff1d1l like this.
  2. paulbysea

paulbysea pfm Member

I suspect all the opposition party spokespeople whilst saying to the media how awful today's announcements are, will be sitting in offices rejoicing at the likely election rout for the Tories. Then over the next two years will somehow contrive to miss the open goal and the corrupt self-serving incompetents will be back in power again. History shows that the UK electorate all too often does themselves more harm than a mass of cliff-diving lemming does.

3. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

If Limbrini (or Lambrini?) is some kind of white Lambrusco the prognosis is, alas, not good.

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Nothing so sophisticated, I'm afraid. It's a perry, sold in wine bottles at, ahem, an affordable price. Limbrini I'm not sure about, it may be a knock off version sold by Aldi. :p

5. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans

At least Pomagne had delusions of grandeur and wasn't Chav juice.

6. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Just Googled and it seems to be some kind of light cider, sounds nice and thirst-quenching. Wiki said it had its advertising banned because it "implied" that drinking it "would bring social and sexual success." Sounds daft, since doesn't advertising for almost everything imply that?

7. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr neither here nor there

Have you watched The Royle Family at all?

8. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans

Yes, but no episode where Pomagne, Lambrini nor Chav juice was mentioned.

9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes it does, but for alcohol there's a specific rule that the advertising can't imply this. Similarly the models all have to be 25+, etc.

10. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr neither here nor there

It was definitely a thing in that series.
    Pomagne - Wikipedia

Seeker_UK likes this.
  11. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Ah, thanks. I had no idea.

12. venton

venton pfm Member

IR35 has not been scrapped. Far from it.

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

That's not what the BBC, FT, etc are saying. Google it, I'm sure that you have, and see.

14. venton

venton pfm Member

It's the 2017 and 2021 reforms are scrapped, but IR35 lives on.

15. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Correct. Merely pushing the onus of determination back to the contractor.

16. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

I read that as IKEA and there is indeed a Truss. It’s a toilet cleaner.

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yep. The 2021 one was a pain. It narrowed the definition enormously. Basically now unless you are utterly, utterly taking the piss, you are self employed. That'll do.

18. kjb

kjb Losing my edge

From The Sun, today, on the budget plans

"A Deltapoll survey for The Sun on Sunday found many of his central policies have gone down a storm.

His pledge to slash the basic rate of income tax from 20p in the £1 to 19p from next April, benefitting 31million workers, got the backing of 63 per cent of respondents.

A majority of Labour and Tory supporters like the plan."

Exactly how many respondents, and the basis of the sample, were not mentioned, but our free press are doing their usual fine work. Those who are being given peanuts to ensure the wealthy get prizes will, of course, welcome the proposals.

19. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

It really is depressing. I’m moving reasonably quickly to the Jez position.

20. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes indeed. Give them free beer on Tuesdays and you can get away with murder for the rest of the week.