Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Great news

Discussion in 'off topic' started by garyi, Sep 23, 2022 at 11:52 AM.

1. garyi

garyi leave blank

If you earn more than 150k you are going to get a tax saving. Bless this government, and all who sail in her.

2. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

One of things that irks me is the way people routinely say "earn" when the real meaning is "get".

That they may "get" a given amount may be a factually correct statement.

That they "earn" it is a value judgement on their behaviour.

3. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

As I’m a feeble-bodied and feebler-minded OAP I don’t get much and earn very little of that. But I’m still happy that the daft duty changes designed to force us all to switch from red wine to Prosecco have been at least postponed. Good news, everyone!

4. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Being forced to switch from red to prosecco is a fate worse than death.

martin clark, Alex S, Dozey and 2 others like this.
  5. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

So they've reversed the social care NI increase that benefitted anyone in need, and those most likely to need the care, earning under 12k, see nothing.

Seems fair.

martin clark and Cheese like this.
  6. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

It's 'true conservatism', obvs.

Snufkin and sq225917 like this.
  7. molee

molee pfm Member

I went from red to Limbrini, two bottles-one to drink on the way home, one for when I get there. What's the prognosis?

Bob McC and PhilofCas like this.
  8. billo

billo pfm Member

I think of it as an incentive to pull my socks up, get on my bike, stop asking for money for nothing. Then I remember that I am a pensioner

Dear Mr. Kwarteng
    please may I have a pay rise, £147K should do it
    Ta,
    Billo
    p s you are by far my favourite Chancellor this year

sean99 likes this.
  9. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

I think you’ve got your limbs mixed up with your lambs :)
    [​IMG]

10. kjb

kjb Losing my edge

Linked to this, a very sharp piece by George Monbiot including a section on how what we might call "trickle down ideology" works.

Has Liz Truss handed power over to the extreme neoliberal thinktanks? | George Monbiot | The Guardian

In short, Tory friendly press barons will do all they can to ensure those not benefiting from the tax cuts will come to see them as a good thing - tax cuts from which, of course, the press barons and their shareholders will definitely benefit. And the BBC will, of course, have to remain neutral, or else!

11. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

Yeah, after all, why do you choose to be poor when you can be as rich as you like? Life choices.

martin clark likes this.
  12. molee

molee pfm Member

Waiting for the official prog from Paul but I understand that the eyesight is often the first to go. Not looking good then.

PhilofCas likes this.
  13. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

The scary bit in that article is how Truss and Kwarteng have been groomed from early in their political careers by those behind the IEA. I checked out the IEA website, and an image of Charles Moore appeared on the front page. That’s all I needed to know

14. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Yeh, they all prefer being poor, why don't they all just become doctors...

Nigel likes this.
  15. laughingboy

laughingboy pfm Member

Once you start looking, the IEA is linked to every bad political turn in the last decade. My MP is co-chair of the Free Market Forum, an IEA offshoot. Its advisory council includes Matthew Elliot (former head of the Taxpayers Alliance, and Vote Leave, and head of 2011's NoToAV campaign), and Lord Borwick (whose son worked for Cambridge Analytica and was Chief Technology Officer of Vote Leave).

A very small group of highly ideological people has effectively taken over the Conservatives, and we don't know who has funded them. So much for democracy.

16. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

Disaster girl strikes again.

[​IMG]

darrenyeats and zarniwoop like this.
  17. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

It’s the Tories Unchained. They are past their sell by date by the usual metrics so why not go for the nuclear option. In political terms it’s rational but hasn’t enough time to have an effect. In other words a disaster.

18. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

The last four decades. Thatcher was thick as thieves with the IEA goons.

laughingboy likes this.
  19. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

It's Britannia Unhinged. This from yesterday was spot on https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/britannia-unchained-liz-truss-kwasi-kwarteng/

"The five authors of Britannia Unchained obviously think they are part of the new killer elite. But they believe this despite being terrible at maths, economically illiterate, ignorant of science and engineering and completely unaware of how to research a book or even write well. Like so many people who have “made it”, they believe everything they have achieved has been down to their special talents and hard work. Others can join them if they want, the rest must just work harder for less. Such people – smug, selfish, self-satisfied, lacking in empathy, ignorant of facts and believing in their own fantasy economics – prop up golf club bars the length and breadth of the country. Unfortunately, now they are also now running the country."

20. H20GNA

H20GNA pfm Member

Is this the wonderful Conservative Government that denied the triple lock to all pensioners, that puts a lot into poverty now we have inflation rising so rapidly.

Will the CG do the same next year?

Gary