advertisement

Great Albums with one (really) naff track

REM Automatic for the People...Ignoreland. Totally at odd with the rest of the tracks and the theme.

I regretfully agree. This is probably my second favorite R.E.M. record (after "Life's Rich Pageant"), and "Ignoreland" doesn't fit in any way. Apparently the original batch of demos was all - or largely - rock songs like "Ignoreland", but at some point the mood shifted, and they wrote most of what made it onto the record...but held onto "Ignoreland".

I think the title is...unfortunate, but it would have fit right into "Green"; "Automatic...", not so much.

REM – Lifes Rich Pageant

It's just an "Underneath the Bunker" away from perfection.

I actually don't mind "Underneath..." as a palate-cleanser between side one and side two. On its own, is it a great song? No, it's fluff, but I think its position on the record provides a nice moment of levity. Still a basically perfect record in my book.

Opinions, etc.

This is maybe bending the rules a bit, but - for Smiths fans in the US, "Louder Than Bombs" was a wildly important compilation, with a bunch of tracks that, up to that point, had been entirely unavailable to us. I think most folks here tend to consider it an "album", at least unofficially...and it's so chock full of indispensable tracks that, even now, as a Smiths completist, it might be the thing I cite as my favorite Smiths release.

That said...it also contains the one real clunker in their catalog, "Golden Lights", a cover so ill-advised that it basically precipitated their break-up. (Yes, I think it's worse than "Death at One's Elbow" or "Meat is Murder".) It's just, so...un-Smiths. It's a weak song, they used a weird flanging effect on Morrissey's vocals, and Marr may as well not have been in the room. Nothing about it fits - not just in the context of the "Louder Than Bombs" (though it was admittedly not created for that), but, I think, in the context of their entire catalog.

Last edited:
Prefab Sprout - The Gunman and Other Stories. A lush album full of wonderful tunes... and then there's 'Farmyard Cat'. Me-Meow. F*****g hell Paddy, what were you thinking?

Sleeps With Angels - ‘Piece of Crap’. Did Neil really think “Blimey (or Canadian equivalent), this album’s a bit dark, we need something to lighten the mood!”? If he did, he was very much mistaken.

advertisement

Back