advertisement

Great Albums with one (really) naff track

Islands is OK at best and any song from it would be naff on The Band or Big Pink (Georgia excepted, but that's a cover made great by Richard Manuel's vocal).
Neil Diamond’s Dry Your Eyes on The Last Waltz was the biggest misstep they ever made.

Love – Da Capo. A brilliant album, second only to Forever Changes but it has one dodgy track; Revelation.
I think of Da Capo as a great half album. I don’t think I’ve ever listened to side two more than once. Obviously Arthur was hoarding the good stuff for the next album.

I'm going to pick on two favourite albums here:

Beck - Sea Change: Paper Tiger... Just totally kills the mood and doesn't fit with everything that follows. One of the few albums where I always skip a song.

And the following only applies now with hindsight:

The Future Sound of London - Dead Cities: We Have Explosive... This was of course the big hit. It hasn't aged well though, and it stands out as incredibly harsh against the rest of the album. I typically don't skip it but I'm basically waiting for it to end the second it starts, and right when you think it's gone on long enough, it starts back up again.

Speaking of FSOL, their new album, Rituals E7.001, opens with perhaps the worst song they've ever written, but goes on to be otherwise excellent. I tend to skip it maybe 50% of the time, depending on my patience for hippie psychedelica at the moment.

To only have 1 duff song on an album is pretty good going, we're probably already talking great albums.

Her Majesty on Abbey Road - what were they thinking?
It wasn’t meant for the album. Apparently the tape operator was under instructions not to discard anything the Beatles recorded so he spliced it onto the end of the tape. Upon hearing it they liked its ‘random effect’. Can’t say it has ever made me think it detracted from the album. Or added to it.

Simon & Garfunkel ‘Bridge Over Troubled Water’

‘Why Don’t You Write Me’

It wasn’t meant for the album. Apparently the tape operator was under instructions not to discard anything the Beatles recorded so he spliced it onto the end of the tape. Upon hearing it they liked its ‘random effect’. Can’t say it has ever made me think it detracted from the album. Or added to it.
It was originally. It was going to come after Polythene Pam. Then it was decided it didn’t work, so that’s how it came to be cut out and added to the end of the tape.

Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express

Superb album except for "Hall of Mirrors", which really gets on my tits. Ralf's singing just grates on this and, worse than that, is so slow it feels like life stops...

Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express

Superb album except for "Hall of Mirrors", which really gets on my tits. Ralf's singing just grates on this and, worse than that, is so slow it feels like life stops...

:)

It is better on headphones, but I agree that it isn’t a five star tune. Sort of works in the nature of that album, I think.

It was originally. It was going to come after Polythene Pam. Then it was decided it didn’t work, so that’s how it came to be cut out and added to the end of the tape.
Possibly, but the story about the tape operator being instructed not to throw anything away, in relation to this track, has been related millions of time.

advertisement

Back