Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Albums with one (really) naff track

Discussion in 'music' started by mikechadwick, Jun 27, 2022.

1. DipsyDave

DipsyDave pfm Member

Great album, massively underrated, the opening track August descends into one of the most sloppily-deranged guitar wig-outs I've ever heard, another track Robert Montgomery is basically a revved-up rework of Eleanor Rigby, plus several top-notch Californian soft-rock numbers given a bit of an edge by more biting lead guitar work. Just the one song mentioned previously which doesn't sit well with the rest of the album IMHO.

mikechadwick and vince rocker like this.
  2. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

I love Equator! The premise is completely bonkers and Ron plays sax on a mellotron. That’s good enough for me. If I had to choose an odd one out on KMH I’d go for Complaints. Looking at the track listing it’s the only one I couldn’t hum to you.

Aethelist and ciderglider like this.
  3. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I’d say KMH is one of the very few albums with absolutely no fillers or even a trace of naffness.

4. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

REM – Lifes Rich Pageant

It's just an "Underneath the Bunker" away from perfection.

White Zombie, cruster and tuga like this.
  5. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Yes, the first side in particular is staggeringly good from start to finish. Such wonderful lyrics* - and (original vinyl more than CD, he grumbled) a great thunderous bass album. I can never resist playing air bass to Thank God It’s Not Christmas.

*Dear, do you often think of me
    As you overlook the sea?
    Do I qualify as dearly departed
    Or am I ‘that sucker in the sky’?

Brilliant.

foxwelljsly likes this.
  6. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

This is what came immediately to my mind too. Couldn't remember the name of the track but I remember the godawful crooning. Was it supposed to be a joke?

7. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

They didn’t do many albums, I’d be perfectly happy to never hear ‘Rag mamma rag’ ever again. I do like ‘songs from big pink’ though.

8. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Sorcerer was one of the first jazz albums I ever bought. I just sort of accepted Nothing Like You as part of the jazz deal. But, yeah.

droodzilla likes this.
  9. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Rag Mama Rag and Music from Big Pink.
    ;)
    RMR swings like nothing else in rock imo.

vince rocker and Woodface like this.
  10. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I’m getting it mixed up with ‘songs from the pink chair’ ;)

Weekender likes this.
  11. RBrinsdon

RBrinsdon pfm Member

This one is so bad I can't even remember the correct title - it is the Floyd track on Ummagumma about "Several Species of Small Furry Animals and Grooving with a Pict"

I realise that only the live album was a true PF "collective effort" and the other tracks were individual compositions, it is still below par though.

Kawumba, and a fweeeeee indeed

12. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

It was of its time; its daft but it has a certain charm.

Robn and RBrinsdon like this.
  13. DipsyDave

DipsyDave pfm Member

Live album great, Grantchester Meadows and The Narrow Way likewise, Sysyphus atmospheric and slightly weird, the rest more than slightly weird, but with a touch of humour. Liked it when I was 15, still do now.

BassRock and Snufkin like this.
  14. rabidlistener

rabidlistener pfm Member

Darkness on the Edge of Town - Bruce Springsteen an absolutely brilliant album ruined by Adam raised a Cain.

15. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Blimey, I absolutely do not agree. A brilliant song.

16. Colin L

Colin L High-tech low-life

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love is a masterpiece, but Waking the Witch irritates me.

gavreid likes this.
  17. LostAtSea

LostAtSea "33 222 1 222"

Steeleye Spans' 'Now We Are Six' could be improved by dropping 'To Know Him Is To Love Him', even though it has Bowie on sax.

18. gingermrkettle

gingermrkettle Deep vein trombonist

One Love on Blue Lines is just seriously dull.

19. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

It’s probably his best album along with Tunnel of Love

neildalton and alan967tiger like this.
  20. Finnegan

Finnegan pfm Member

Sugar Cube on Bless The Weather. Really jars with the blissed out ambience of the rest of the album.

neildalton likes this.