Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Albums with one (really) naff track

Discussion in 'music' started by mikechadwick, Jun 27, 2022.

1. kjb

kjb pfm Member

:eek:Its the 2nd best track on the album ( after Who Knows Where the Time Goes) : I hear them channeling the Velvet Underground every time I play it!

Snufkin likes this.
  2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Roy Harper
    Flat, Baroque and Berserk
    Hell’s Angels

mikechadwick likes this.
  3. Caliente

Caliente pfm Member

Deep Purple - Fireball and "Anyone's Daughter" though I have grown to like it and it is very much from its time.

4. Bart

Bart pfm Member

Some people dislike it so much they make it a-finger-in-both-ears listening (not me though, I think it’s one of the best tracks).

Rockmeister likes this.
  5. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I’m pretty sure ‘Dear God’ was a b-side & it’s also a great song.

6. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

It was a B-side to begin with, although originally intended to be on the album and then pulled. Different people have different thoughts as to why that happened. Then it was put on to later pressings of the album when it became a hit in America - mine is one of those without it. Opinions probably differ as to whether it is a great song or not. IMO it rather spoils the flow/‘concept’ of the album.

irons1965 and ciderglider like this.
  7. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I would argue that although it does mark a crossroads and they took the wrong turn, however the track itself is great. Adopting Dave Swarbrick and jettisoning Ian Matthews was also a marker of their swing to the folksier way of things.

8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I listen & enjoy Fairport Convention far more than I do The Band, I always thought they had a more domestic/English sound.

9. Blue Belle

Blue Belle pfm Member

Never liked the track Polly off of Nirvana's Nevermind, although i'm certain others loved it.

Big Tabs likes this.
  10. CTank

CTank pfm Member

I don’t hate Downtown. But the album certainly wouldn’t be any worse if it was omitted.

11. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

I think DSOTM would be a much better record without ‘Money’. The clunky 7/8 riff is bad enough, but when they switch into the straight-time rocking out section it always makes me think of the car sequence in Wayne’s World.

BassRock, MVV, Snufkin and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Not sure I agree there. Great overall, as is Making Movies.

13. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

Industrial Disease just doesn't 'fit' for me. Too jokey. The rest of the album is amazing.

14. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail
    I've never liked - 'Robbery, Assault & Battery'.

BassRock and ColinC like this.
  15. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

I couldn't agree more - it just doesn't follow the 'vibe' of the rest of the album at all.

16. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Hawkwind and Fire

Highway to Hell and Love Hungry Man

17. RBrinsdon

RBrinsdon pfm Member

Disraeli Gears - I think it is "Mothers Lament"

18. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Good call - absolutely awful track :(

19. Bart

Bart pfm Member

Much prefer The Band, though I like both British Folk(Rock) and Americana. Can’t think of a naff track on any Band album myself though they did have a bit of a naff member depending on whose story you believe.

RBrinsdon likes this.
  20. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Almost every Beatles album has at least one. I particularly dislike is "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da".
    Got to agree with Marcho on 'Money' (DSOTM), I literally skip it.
    'Our House' grates too. Bloody Graham Nash.