advertisement

Graphene Esl's - The Future ?

The efficiency is ridiculous! How about the power handling? The connecting arrangement is probably the bottleneck there. Not that you would need much power... It might be a while before we see large electrostat panels, I don't think anyone has managed to make a big sheet of the stuff yet. Might be nice for headphones - but my 35+ year old 600-ohm AKGs can do 20Hz-20kHz flat with no trouble at all, as can many others.

At work we have had contact with various organisations related to the graphene concept for the past four years and we still engage with them (both academia and start-ups). When we probe deeper, the theory is well advanced of reality. I'll stick my neck out and say getting graphene samples needed beyond micro applications and lab demos (i.e. with pure graphene and not what is really graphite or graphene oxide) will be 15 years away....and this is not for wont of money.

Actually existing electrostat efficiency is actually very high: very, very high in fact, because apart from very, very modest losses in any necessary step-up transformer, the unit itself is essentially pure capacitance - and the dissipation in a pure capacitance tends to zero. Added to which the impedance match - effectiveness of coupling - between existing diaphargm materials and the air load is excellent - the major reason for the outstanding performance of good electrostats. [ Also why box speaker are so ineffcient, and exactly how horns gain in efficacy.]

It takes a wide voltage swing to drive adequately (hence apparent voltage insentivity /need for 50+w amp) but efficiency for electrostats is certainly not a problem. Th truth is, they'd benefit from a different approach to amplification - massive voltage swing at low current - and the practicality of that is not universal/plain dangerous in the home (sell a small amp that can easily swing over +/-3KV? good luck with that; what connectors would you use for speaker cable, in fact, what cable for a start...)

Added to which - macro-scale electrostats need very, very high sheet resistivity to approximate the constant-charge criterion which was the real Walker/Baxandall breakthrough. Making electrostats out of low-resistance stuff, however thin, is a recipe for much higher distortion and poorer perfromance. Strange but true: useful membranes start above 1gigaohm/square of resistance - nearly a perfect insulator!

The linked article is clearly using tiy pieces of minimum feasible mass to chase a Medium-wave frequency response: alone, that's of no use to audio replay. I'll stick my neck out: graphene does not intrinsically, even potentially, offer electrostat loudspeakers much if anything at all. Doubtless we'll duly see it marketed as the saviour of the audio world though...

Do you know if anyone has managed to get a square centimetre of the stuff in one piece yet (any shape will do)?

advertisement

Back