Do you have grandchildren?

• Yes

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 92 59.7%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Today we found out that the youngest (almost one year old) grandchild, is going to have a brain scan as he is not reaching his milestones.

The health professional suspects cerebral palsy.

Sorry to hear that.
Unfortunately NHS England skimps on screening tests during pregnancy. Saves money.

Sorry to hear that.
Unfortunately NHS England skimps on screening tests during pregnancy. Saves money.

Mmm, very bad taste to bring political views into this thread in such a manner.

And your assumption makes me very sad.

My grandson was premature, this is the likely cause of any issue.

The mother had all relevant screening tests.

Sorry to hear about your grandson.

I'm now 63 but didn't have any children until I was 43 so my son's are, currently, 18 and 20 so no grandkids yet.................

Regards

Richard

I have one son but after one divorce he's now with his second wife and has produced 5 children between them, his second wife came with I child so I'm the proud grandad to 6 ranging in age from 25 to 7 and what a mixed bunch they are, the oldest two are married. Due to his second wife's illness, fate/timing, his job taking him to US permanently and she not being allowed to travel, I ended up at 66 looking after a 3yr old for 2 yrs on my own, now that was fun and different, joining a mother and baby swimming group was 1 bonus!!
Originally I had 4 granddaughters and 2 grandsons now I have 3 off each with the middle one in the middle of the long, emotional and complicated process of becoming a male, a change that has been on the cards for a long time, to see the change in his personality is amazing and for him I'm sure it's going to be the right decision.
As you can see life doesn't always run smoothly but would I change anything, not really, there's been highs and lows, I've had good times and difficult ones, but the love and support I receive from them all is what matters.
To conclude my son, his second wife and two girls are living happily in San Antonio, Texas, my two eldest married ones are also in San Antonio both with good jobs the eldest has just bought his first house, both are waiting for their spouses to complete their immigration processes so they can go over permanently and join them, but Trump keeps changing the goalposts !! so that is work in progress. the other four are in the education system and all are doing very well.
One happy and contented grandad!

Since I'm in my early 40's, and my kids are 9 and 11, becoming a grandparent is a far away prospect. A part of me doesn't want to be one - I have serious reservations about the type of world we will have in 30 or 40 or 50 years. Not my decision though.

My kids are a bit unfortunate in that, despite all 4 grandparents being alive, Mrs. farfromtheun's parents are in Ireland, so not seen with any regularity, and my parents are, well, a bit shit, despite only living 10 miles away. I wish that they could show some of the willingness and devotion that many of the posters here do, but it seems that their life is a bit too important. We've tried and tried, but never make progress. In a few years - when my old man retires - they will probably move to the Isle Of Wight and I think that they're expecting that we'll be visiting every couple of months. There seems to be a constant disparity between an imagined world and the real world - in their heads, I think they think they're great - the kids have their own bedrooms in their house yet they've stayed over less than a dozen times.

The same story is going to play out further once they move. It is disappointing, but my attitude is starting to harden, and I find myself caring less as time goes on.

In all likelihood, with remote working becoming far more viable, we could end up nearer my wifes family in Ireland, which isn't something I would have considered in the past - the idea of taking my kids away from my Mum and Dad wasn't something I'd have contemplated in years gone by - but now I would, because the kids would have a lot more to gain, than they have to lose, by moving.

No grandkids here either. Our "nippers" are 34, 27 & 23 this year. The eldest does not want children, middle one says not yet and youngest has given it no thought.

I've not really liked the idea of becoming a grandparent because of my intolerant attitude to other people's brats. However, recently Mrs cj and I have been lightly involved with some of the neighbour's kids, it's brought back so many fond memories of raising our own I'm now either doubting my previous assumptions or going soft. o_O

One granddaughter, nearly 10 months old. She’s a delight, and I’m extremely proud of my son and daughter-in-law for the way they seem to be putting in so much energy to make her that way. Daughter-in-law is a primary school teacher, which probably helps!

BT, hope for the very best for your youngest charge. I hope he’s happy whatever he has to deal with.

Sorry to hear about your grandson.

I'm now 63 but didn't have any children until I was 43 so my son's are, currently, 18 and 20 so no grandkids yet.................

Regards

Richard

Wow, opposite end of the scale.

I was 18 when the first child decided to arrive. (we were married, 1st wife was 2 years older than I was)

I told my kids that I didn't want to be a grandfather before I was 50, but since turning 50 (I'm 52 now) I've been asking - "where are my grandchildren then"? My kids are 24 and 28 and while both are in stable relationships I think it's going to be a few years yet before either of them will be thinking about kids.

I’m 67 and kids are 37 and 25. Oldest married but doesn’t want any and youngest single and career focused. I don’t see it happening.

"The reason grandparents and grandchildren get along so well is that they have a common enemy."

- Sam Levenson

"The thing to remember about babies is they are here to replace us" American comedian whose name escapes me.

Only the one here, he's 19 months. We couldn't see him during lockdown and he didn't talk to us on video calls. He did respond to our daughter though as she usually called him from university so he was used to seeing her on screen.

He's changed during that period and seems to be going into the terrible twos phase.

3 grandsons, 4 step-grandchildren and 5 step-greatgrandchildren. We* played a large part in forming the characters of two of the grandsons, the other one didn't really want to know.
* Obviously my wife.

advertisement

Back