Votes: 56 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 92 59.0%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 8 5.1%

• Total voters

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
I was a little surprised to find there are no specific grandchildren threads on pfm, maybe reflective of the male domination in terms of membership?
Maybe talking about grandchildren isn't man-talk? I don't know.

Anyway, there is one now.

I am lucky enough to have three grandchildren so far. No indication that there will be more, but you never know.

Today we found out that the youngest (almost one year old) grandchild, is going to have a brain scan as he is not reaching his milestones.

The health professional suspects cerebral palsy.

I don't have enough knowledge (not my speciality) but I have suspected something for months.

We are glad the physio has made a referral re:brain scan, the sooner we know what his diagnosis is, the sooner we can concentrate on his treatment. He cannot sit up properly, so we have various exercises to help stretch his tendons etc.

The older granddaughters (both 10 yrs old) are pleasant and receptive to Granddad feeding them music and words of wisdom.
No doubt that will not last, but one never knows.

I have also started to flow bits of hifi (in the loosest sense of the phrase) to them. Separates are the next purchase.

To the grandparents: share the nice bits, give warning of the not so nice bits.

I dont yet have any grandchildren, two daughters so time will tell. But I will say that I loved my paternal grandparents and had a lovely relationship with them. My grandad was a formative force in my life and I still miss him today. He was gentle, loving and wise.
So, good on you Tabs, your's is an important role.
I do hope things turn out well for the very little one. Sending best wishes to all of your family.

Best wishes, Tabs, to the little one. Hope things turn out OK. I probably won’t contribute to this thread much, if at all, as we have no kids and my grandparents had all died by my teens so I have little perspective to add, but it’s a great idea for a thread.

I have no kids myself, but my 2 brothers have children and I play a part with them as best I can. I really hope for the best outcome possible for your youngest grandchild. Accept them for whatever they are and guide them as best you can. As Darren states above, Grandparents can play a vital part in a child's life. Mine were fantastic and I only lost 2 of them in the last few years and miss them dearly.

I dont yet have any grandchildren, two daughters so time will tell.
Ditto. My two wretches seem to be having too much fun to worry about such things. In addition, they have taken the eminently sensible approach "better none than the wrong one" (they've seen many of their friends get married and divorced in short order). So, the problem of grandchildren falls into my favourite category of problem, Someone Else's!

Good luck with the grandchild Big Tabs, I hope that diagnosis doesn’t take too long and the family are able to cope with the outcome and ongoing care as it will no doubt become an extra workload.

I have three daughters, far too young for grandkids yet, but I’ll mention here that if you are a grandparent and able to see your grandchildren please do, my parents are both in isolation - one very ill and the other is his carer, so they have never met their youngest granddaughter (14 months old) and it’s unlikely they ever will, so if you are able to, please play a part in their lives. :)

I was a little surprised to find there are no specific grandchildren threads on pfm, maybe reflective of the male domination in terms of membership?
Maybe talking about grandchildren isn't man-talk? I don't know.

Anyway, there is one now.

I am lucky enough to have three grandchildren so far. No indication that there will be more, but you never know.

Today we found out that the youngest (almost one year old) grandchild, is going to have a brain scan as he is not reaching his milestones.

The health professional suspects cerebral palsy.

I don't have enough knowledge (not my speciality) but I have suspected something for months.

We are glad the physio has made a referral re:brain scan, the sooner we know what his diagnosis is, the sooner we can concentrate on his treatment. He cannot sit up properly, so we have various exercises to help stretch his tendons etc.

The older granddaughters (both 10 yrs old) are pleasant and receptive to Granddad feeding them music and words of wisdom.
No doubt that will not last, but one never knows.

I have also started to flow bits of hifi (in the loosest sense of the phrase) to them. Separates are the next purchase.

To the grandparents: share the nice bits, give warning of the not so nice bits.
Sorry to hear about this, worrying time.

I am probably at least 5-6 years away from being a grandad but look forward to sharing my wisdom with a wry smile.

I dont yet have any grandchildren, two daughters so time will tell. But I will say that I loved my paternal grandparents and had a lovely relationship with them. My grandad was a formative force in my life and I still miss him today. He was gentle, loving and wise.
So, good on you Tabs, your's is an important role.
I do hope things turn out well for the very little one. Sending best wishes to all of your family.

Thanks.

I wish I had good memories about my grandfathers.

One of them sat in his chair, he never said a word to me. Scared the bejeebers out of me. He was a hard man.
My other granddad again scared the cr*p out of me. He was huge and used to bare-knuckle box in illegal bouts. He did talk though. (maybe twice)

I have added a poll. For some reason I thought many fishies would have grandchildren. Judging by the first few responses, that thought was incorrect.

Our first grandchild (a girl) is 6 months old and an absolute delight. It’s been horrible for us not to be able to hold her these past few months but that’s changing as lockdown measures ease (I’m shielding). Saw her today and she mainly tried pulling my beard to bits. Looking forward to much fun and games in the future.

Our first grandchild (a girl) is 6 months old and an absolute delight. It’s been horrible for us not to be able to hold her these past few months but that’s changing as lockdown measures ease (I’m shielding). Saw her today and she mainly tried pulling my beard to bits. Looking forward to much fun and games in the future.

Well timed thread then! You must be thrilled to see your granddaughter. I think babies can be a bit boring until about 6 months, then you need to start hiding everything at child height :)

Pulling beard... yes, grandson ripped my spectacles off and shoved what he could in his mouth. Then started to pull the hairs out of my leg (I wear shorts a lot)

My daughter bit me on the shoulder when she was a baby, she broke the skin and it bled copiously. Like a rat she hung on. Funny now, hurt more than it should in reality.

I have 2 grandsons and 2 granddaughters, ages 1 to 10 approx. They are delightful and seeing them grow up is a wonderful experience. The special relationship with grandchildren is a true blessing. They are all fit and very bright and well-behaved - but they are mine, honest! Their parents are the same. I consider myself very lucky in this respect when I see the way some people carry on. Their upbringing in terms of environment and opportunity is light years away from mine, more than 60 years ago, in the valleys of South Wales.

I have 2 grandsons and 2 granddaughters, ages 1 to 10 approx. They are delightful and seeing them grow up is a wonderful experience. The special relationship with grandchildren is a true blessing. They are all fit and very bright and well-behaved - but they are mine, honest! Their parents are the same. I consider myself very lucky in this respect when I see the way some people carry on. Their upbringing in terms of environment and opportunity is light years away from mine, more than 60 years ago, in the valleys of South Wales.

Well-behaved and bright isn't luck, it is hard work. Give yourself some credit. :)

No grandkids - just a daughter. I've been through the whole not meeting milestones, following by evaluations for CP, Retts, autism, etc etc and the whole special education for 12 years. Fortunately things turned out well but it has been exhausting physically and emotionally. I wish the little one and his parents all the best. PM me if you have any questions about the experience.

No grandkids - just a daughter. I've been through the whole not meeting milestones, following by evaluations for CP, Retts, autism, etc etc and the whole special education for 12 years. Fortunately things turned out well but it has been exhausting physically and emotionally. I wish the little one and his parents all the best. PM me if you have any questions about the experience.

Thank you.

Well-behaved and bright isn't luck, it is hard work. Give yourself some credit. :)

Thanks BT, I take some credit, but an awful lot lot belongs elsewhere. Also the luck to be a UK ‘boomer’ with all that entails from birth to old age has made things easier. I don’t mean that in a nationalistic sense, just in comparison to how difficult life has been in other regions, and is getting now at home.

Got 4 kids, 18-27, eldest recently split from his long term partner and the others are starting out so don’t see any Grandchildren on the horizon. I’m 52 and not particularly in a rush to be a Grandad yet.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back