advertisement

Graham Slee kit

Tarzan

pfm Member
Just having a relaxing internet surf before the madness begins ( house full of family arriving:D) and happened upon The Graham Slee stuff, any love on The Forum for this gear as it does not seem to get mentioned much.

Any road,

Merry Christmas to all Pink Fish Media members and a Happy New Year.:)

I bought one of the early models of the Solo headphone amp. I still have it - very happy with it.

I have had a gramm amp 2 se , very good MM phono amp . the products are generally very well regarded . I only sold it as I switched to an amp with internal stage

I have a Revelation C with psu 1. It gives better sq than any on board phono stage which is why it has lasted quite a few amp changes.

The instructions insist it is left on all the time so it’s like a fit and forget. No need to remember to switch it on!

Works well with most mc’s.

I've been using an Era Gold V for over 4 years and don't feel the need to change. Quiet, dynamic who needs more.

I use a Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage with my Lp12/Ortofon 2M Bronze, and it makes for a very musical combo. Not looking to change...

BB

Another thing l noticed some owners reporting that the phono stages supress surface noise..... how can they do that?:)

Suppressing surface noise is not easy, but what Graham Slee has a reputation for is not exaggerating it like many cheap designs do. Probably due to slew rate limiting.
GS uses very high speed opamps to avoid the problem.

Suppressing surface noise is not possible (never mind not easy...). Any well designed modern phono stage should be pretty much equally good in this respect. Most modern stages use very fast op amps,

Suppressing surface noise is not possible (never mind not easy...). Any well designed modern phono stage should be pretty much equally good in this respect. Most modern stages use very fast op amps,
Agreed that a dumb circuit cannot reduce surface noise, but there are the spike gating designs.
There are still plenty of TL072 based circuits with too low impedance feedback, which will struggle with the clicks.

Agreed that a dumb circuit cannot reduce surface noise, but there are the spike gating designs.
There are still plenty of TL072 based circuits with too low impedance feedback, which will struggle with the clicks.

But we're not talking active suppression of the clicks (removing everything at the same time often)...

TL072 could possibly latch up if clipped as well as problems driving low impedance feedback network.

Series feedback topographies can certainly give a different and often worse performance of clicks etc as the gain only goes to unity with increasing frequency. Some Quad pres have an extra passive pole to try and deal with this.

advertisement

Back